h/c/i--what's involved?

Blackened302

Jul 21, 2005
South TX
h/c/i--what other parts are involved?

i want to do this w/in the next 2-3 months, but i don't wanna spend too much $$$. my question is:

what other parts are involved w/ an h/c/i swap besides the obvious (heads, cam, intake)?

do i need bigger injectors, fuel pump, regulator, maf, tb?

my gf's bro-in-law (my future bro-in-law) has a pair of heads he's going to give me (either gt-40's or ported D08E's), so i'll just have to get the intake and cam, but i'd like to know what else i have to get so i can budget the little cash i'll have to spend.

another question: should i rather try and get a complete explorer 5.0? we found one for my bro-in-law's falcon project and got it for 500 complete. i'd imagine that'd be better?

thanks for answering my newb question.

• Sponsors (?)

the p's are a slightly better head then the gt40's

if i were going to do it again i would hold off and go with an alum. head. if your going to be running used heads its always a good idea to get them checked out at a machine shop first (which is $$ you could just put into a set of better heads)

800-900 for a nice set of alum heads
200-400 for intake
100-300 for cam
100-200 for injectors
50-150 for a MAF
100-200 for gaskets and misc parts

most people say a FPR is just a temp band aid as the ECU will adjust for any changes you make to it and defeat the pourpse for it. a custom tune is really needed anyways when modified

if you shop around and score some good deals you could probably to a nice running H/C/I swap for 1600 or so

A nice place to take your time in and have more money saved up. Example, my uncle has been rebuilding and H/C/I'ing his friends cars since January. Two SS Chevelles, a 72' Monte Carlo, an S-10 with a 3fity, an Impala(not sure what year but its like a whale) another 71' chevelle "heavy chevy" and his own 87' SS Monte Carlo. When they leave him payments they always leave extra for the small parts that are cheaper to replace than to fix, like bolts, gaskets, hoses, and stuff. I cant say exactly what cuz Ive been working full time now and he does this on the weekends when Im always at work so I dont get to help much anymore. That was way off topic but Ill be running against those beasts within the next month or so, thats why I need my car running right. (See Lacking power and misfiring in tech :D) And I admire my uncle, he's a natural born gearhead. Anyway youll need patience and something else to drive while this is going on. It wont go just like you plan it, something always comes up. Ive seen the body work you did on your Stang, pretty ****in badass by the way:hail2: , and Im more than sure you have the know how so youll do pretty dam good, and you also have these badasses at stangnet to help you out. I also need to post pics of my body damage so you could give me some tips, Ive been thinking of doing it myself now. I want it to look like yours, but blue:nice: Well Its almost 4 and Im not drunk anymore. I have a doctors appointment at 10 so I better go to sleep. The best of luck to you and your 5.0 bro. I cant believe its still raining outside.

thanks for the words, john. true, i was kinda hoping it would be smooth, but yeah, something always comes up, heh.

lemme know about the body work, man--i'll be glad to give you as many tips as i can. i was really iffy about taking on hundreds of hail dents and installing the body kit myself, but when you're poor, there's no other option, hahaha. now i'm no professional, but i certainly did learn a few things, so i'll be more than happy to pass on some of that knowledge and tips to you.

With those mods your really wont "need" a bigger inj. However, 24's would be nice if you can swing it (I would rather go bigger than smaller to err on the safe side).

its basicly alot of bending over, taking off or putting on parts and turning bolts and stuff.:D

Take your time dont get into a rush and be as clean as you can. If you have any questions stop and ask specificly about what on here, I am sure someone can help.

Didnt read all the "needs" but you will need a power ster. pullie puller to remove the driver side bracket and head.

For the intake after having unported gt40's I cannot say how much I liked the ported stock lower from tmoss on how well it worked out port wise and perf. wise.

For cheap..I'd say grab either head, send your stock lower to Tmoss, up the TB to a 65, throw a Kirban on it, a bigger FP and be done, leave the cam and inj alone..it'll run fine with no tune issues...You be amazed at the difference for not alot of money...You'll be done for under 500.00 easy if you hit the classifieds...
If you dont have gears then nows the time to throw those in to help out...

well i've decided on finding an explorer engine + head/intake port + headers + off-road H + 4.10's.

i'd feel more comfortable putting in a new engine (trying to get one from my bro-in-law's other bro-in-law [hehehe] that only has 20k on it).

thanks for the tips, gents.