H or X, CAI?

Drew0318

Aug 15, 2008
Chicago, IL
About 4 months ago I bought a friend's '99 S281 SC, I love it, but I want it louder.

So, I've been reading (and listening to) a lot of reviews about midpipes. I don't
want a catted midpipe, I don't need emissions testing (I love Indiana), and the $100-200 savings (damn platinum) is more up my alley.

The car is completely stock (if I remember correctly, Saleen used Borla for the exhaust), I'm trying to keep it that way as much as possible, so spending $300-400 on a midpipe/CAI is ok with me.

I love the sound of the exhaust now, but I think it could be a lot better if it was louder. Which is also why I'm looking at the more economical choice, since it's more for a sound upgrade than a performance upgrade.

So my questions are these:

Which do you guys (and gals) prefer, H or X? I'm looking for a low grumble/roar. Not particularly concerned about highway drone, as the car isn't used for that.

Which brand do you recommend?

Which brand CAI do you recommend, does a regular "for GT" CAI work with the Saleen (because of the supercharger)?

Along with the midpipes, how can I tell which headers are on the car (long/short)? As that would dictate which midpipe to get. Or would that be a question easily answered at SOEC?

Currently, I'm looking at a JLT intake and a MAC H/X.

• Sponsors (?)

The Mac H will give you the low growl...to me the X's are too raspy. I've had an H and a Prochamber. Both are good pieces.

Long tube headers would extend to the end of the tranny tailshaft.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaandddddddd

all X's arent raspy. it depends on what catback is paired with it and if it has cats or not

if you want a low rumble/roar you need an h pipe or prochamber as what coramprat said. your best bet is to pair a prochamber with bassani mufflers

I have an X and it's not raspy at all BUT mine has cats and it's paired with a magnaflow CB exhaust. I think an x-pipe without cats might sound pretty raspy with those borla's. I'd go h-pipe on your car. Oh, and just check all the posted about CAI's on here. They are pretty much just for looks....

Get a Prochamber! Dont think twice. It'll give you the deep rumble you're looking for. I always thought X's sounded a little higher/ raspy. But Im sure there are some that arent. Probably just depend on the header and cat back combo as well. I run stock headers into a prochamber with 40 series Flowmasters that have been welded in. Im very happy!

:)

According to most everybody at SOEC, Saleen used the normal Ford headers and a Borla cat-back (for 99 at least).

I'm not looking to spend a ton of money on it (probably the H will be all I get) because I want to try and keep it original. I just want loud+good.

So for $150, big effin deal.

I can probably make the MILs, I have a degree in that crap anyway. :rolleyes:

My little 'ol regular GT sounds very nice with the MAC O/R H-pipe and Flowmasters. Reminds me of old school muscle car rumbles. If I stay out of it (granny shift it) it's not bothersome at all. But if you really get in it, people notice.:flag: