handling mods (tires)

OWENMUSTANG

Apr 18, 2005
anybody done/seen tests on tires (width) increases on s197 cars?
how much do they help skid pad/repsonse numbers?

i have a 06 with the 18 fan blade wheel option. still has 235 tires on it.
my 98 SS camaro has 275's on it.

my stang is giving up 160mm of rubber to the gm.

if the test involves movement, the SS wins, no contest.
(L.O.L, sorry, i just had to use that line)

• Sponsors (?)

Schlitz-420 said:
What about in the slalom? Every Camaro/Firedbird i have ever driven had a nervous breakdown under hard cornering.

i'll take your word on that.
totally agree camaro's have issues...my favorite is the following variations in the road like it has a slot car pin..

things i've noticed about both. i can find the limits of the stangs grip with out much effort(my SS never seems to get close to edge)

both cars ride great. just would like to get the stang close to the level of the SS.

OWENMUSTANG said:
i'll take your word on that.
totally agree camaro's have issues...my favorite is the following variations in the road like it has a slot car pin..

things i've noticed about both. i can find the limits of the stangs grip with out much effort(my SS never seems to get close to edge)

both cars ride great. just would like to get the stang close to the level of the SS.
When my 05 was stock it was easy to find the limit,with a little suspension and wider tires it is night and day. This thing strait rails for a solid axle car.

If you want to improve cornering you need a low profile, stiff side wall, sticky tire.

For an 18" wheel go with a 35 or 40 (latter more street friendly). Width will put more of a patch down but you also need to prevent roll over. So your width will be determined more by the availabilty of what there is for a 35 or 40 tire. Use 45s for maximum daily driver happiness and performance.

You'll probabaly see widths in 245s, 255s or 265s in your future. Any wider and you need to be going to 19s or larger. Otherwise you're going to have rubber bulging out from the wheel. But I don't suggest anything larger than a 18x9" for performance/weight.