Engine Hard to start, Smell of gas around car, Rough idle

Looking for some thoughts on this issue.

I have an '88 vert (Speed density) that is pretty much stock other than a GT40 upper and lower intake from an explorer with EGR. I'm having an issue with the car idling rough, a smell of fuel, and hard to start when the car is warm. I put the code reader on and the only code it pulled was 67, which says its a A/C pressure sensor circuit error.

I have replaced the following.
  • Cap and rotor (Motorcraft)
  • Ford racing plug wires
  • Throttle body 70mm
  • K&N Filter (in stock box)
  • fuel pressure regulator
Any ideas what might be causing this condition?

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Speed Density cars are VERY sensitive to vac leaks. having one may or may not generate a code

Code 67 means:
-Clutch safety switch (clutch not depressed)
-A/C is on (or for some reason the computer thinks it is)
-Neutral sensing switch on the T5 (not plugged in, or trans was in gear)

Try rerunning the codes with the clutch pedal pressed in, this should allow you to proceed to the engine running codes and possibly give you some useful data.

I would plan to smoke test the engine for vac leaks.

Does your car have the catalytic converters on it still? If not, that may be why the gas smell.

How long has the car had the Explorer intake?

At least put a vacuum gauge on it to know if that’s a problem. The symptoms are a classic vacuum leak. When you change those intakes, lots of vacuum hoses were involved. You can find online a vacuum diagram with photos of locations and one by one test to see if the hose leaks or ?

So I tried running the code reader again with the clutch pedal in and the only 2 codes I get are the normal 10 & 11 codes and that’s it.

Are you starting the car and running the engine running codes as well?

You should get 11, 10, 11 and then you start the engine and you should get a third code 11 of the engine running codes. These cars will show different codes depending on if the engine is running, or off. You gotta pull both sets.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user