Harmonic balancer problem

StadEMS3

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jun 19, 2003
Mechanicsville, MD
I'm in the process of building a 331 stroker (it is balanced 28oz). I purchased a FRPP 28oz balancer from Summit that says it will fit our cars. First, it was slightly larger in diameter so I had to grind some of the bottom water pump mount bolt to get it on. No biggy. Now it sits in to far for the crank pulley to line up with the rest of the pulleys. I looked at the stock one and it has a 11/16" cast raised center for the crank pulley to attach to. Does anybody make a spacer or a 28oz balancer that will work?? Any suggestions?? This is the only thing holding it up from going back into the car.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j178/StadEMS3/a8ad741e.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I have the M-6316-C351 28oz damper, it is 1.5" thick. The factory one is 1.5" thick with a .658 spacer as part of it. So, I need .658. The spacers FRPP have are .875 or thicker. I'm now reading in the FRPP catalog that it requires modification to fit 1994-01 Mustangs and explorers. I'd wish they'd tell you that when you buy it. Plus, it doesn't say what I need to do to modify it... It is so difficult sometimes to find compatable parts for 94-95's. I guess I'll be calling FRPP in the morning.