Has anyone fixed their own gauges?

My stock tach, temp and volt gauges all died. The tach is completely dead, the other two read incorrectly-the amps point straight up and the temp at the 3 o'clock. Has anyone here changed their own stepper motors? I know there's a special tool required, but what tool? I have average mechanical skills and do 95% of my own repairs.

• Sponsors (?)

Fixing your own gauges

Order the correct number of stepper motors (4 or 6) depending on how many gauges you have. replace them all. Search stepper motors on e-bay. Got 4 shipped for less than 25 bucks. Take the plastic surround off the dash, drop the tilt wheel down, it just pulls off no screws. Take the 4 screws out of the gauge cluster and remove the wiring harness. The clear cover pops off, has clips around the outside of the cluster. The gauge needles pull straight up and off. I used a cheap metal interior clip removal tool from the local o"reillys. On the back of the gauge cluster you will see where the stepper motors solder in place. Unsolder them and use a "solder sucker" radio shack for 2 bucks if you dont have one, to clean out the solder joints. Solder in the new stepper motors, only go one way, very easy to do if you have soldering skills. Put the gauge cluster back in the car and hook up the wire harness. turn the key to on so the gauges reset. Turn key off and put the needles back on in the left hand positions, 0 mph, E, C, etc. Put the gauge cluster back to gether and back into car. Took me an hour or less, everything works perfectly now. The e-bay guy will do it for 125 bucks I think if too much work involved.

I have been having the same issue for the past 3 months. started with my voltage gauge. then my fuel gauge and eventually my rpm gauge dropped down to the 6 o clock position and never moves now. I have been wondering if I went to a junk yard and bought a used dash cluster would their be any compatible issues with my GT? Is my PCM specially coded to my current dash? I would imagine yanking out the old one and replacing it with a new one would be a simpler fix....and to be honest, seeing a lower mileage wouldnt hurt either. Are there any conflicts with this or is ordering the gears for the needles the way to go?