Having problems with new 4.10's installed!!

CrazyGT

Aug 21, 2003
Chesterfield,VA
:bang:

Okay,
Here we go!
I removed my 3.55 gears from a 94 Gt with an 8.8 rear and put in some 4.10's. The problem i am having is I can not remove the slap from the pinion.
There was not any shims behind the 3.55's that i took out. Should there have been any shims behind the pinion bearing? or is there a washer between pinion nut & copanion flange?

Any help would be nice! She is setting on Jacks right now !!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

CrazyGt said:
:bang:

Okay,
Here we go!
I removed my 3.55 gears from a 94 Gt with an 8.8 rear and put in some 4.10's. The problem i am having is I can not remove the slap from the pinion.
There was not any shims behind the 3.55's that i took out. Should there have been any shims behind the pinion bearing? or is there a washer between pinion nut & copanion flange?

Any help would be nice! She is setting on Jacks right now !!!!!

The shim is inbetween the back of the pinion gear, and the pinion bearing. Look at the back of the pinion gear. The shim absolutely has to be there. You can't install gears without them (no way to adjust pinion depth) . Once I took the shim out, the pinion gear had a really shiny circle where the shim used to be. My shim came right off, but yours may still be stuck to the pinion gear or the pinion bearing.

The shim should be around .035, plus/minus.005. Mine was a .035.

What do you mean that you can't take the slop out of the pinion gear. Did you remember to install a new bearing spacer (crush collar) when you put the pinion back in. If you didn't, that would explain why you can't get the play out of the pinion gear. Even with the bearing spacer in, once the nut starts becoming hard to turn, you need to tighten the pinion nut at least 3-4 full turns before the play is gone. Then, once the play is gone, you can start to check pre-load with the in-lb torque wrench after every 1/16 turn you make.

DO NOT REINSTALL THE PINION WITHOUT USING A SHIM. Your pinion depth will be fuxord (i.e. way too little), and the gears will be in serious trouble if you try to drive it like that.

If you absolutely cannot find the pinion shim, you will need to guess (start with .035), and use gear marking compound to check it after you install it. This means you will need to install the pinion gear, and the carrier, then install the main caps. Then check your pinion depth with a some Prussian blue. If you don't have the chart, then use the gears link in my sig & then go to the link that has the file you can download. It has a picture of proper wear. If the .035 shim is not good, then you will need another pinion bearing spacer & try again with the new setting. New spacers can be purchased at Napa.

If you have any questions, you can PM me or e-mail me a [email protected]
Scott