Head question

• Sponsors (?)

If you are going to delete the smog pump then you will need a threaded insert known as a thermactor plug. They screw into the back and front of your heads. Put silicone on the threads to prevent any exhaust leak when installing them. The thermactor plugs you will use for the front (same as back) will go to make the head holes smaller so the accessories can bolt up like your power steering stud and one of your bigger alternator bolts that go through you alternator bracket. The back thermactor plugs you will use just block off and delete the smog equipment’s previous hookups. You can get them at a Ford Dealership - part # F4ZZ-6E086-A or you can buy some from Summitracing - part # TFS-51400265 and they run anywhere from $3 to $12 dollars from what I have seen. Summit has them cheaper.

Stang8URMPRT said:
Beat ya to it, David!! :p

I'm mad now :mad:

:D

We even posted during the same minute...lol.

Oh and put some high-temp silicone on the threads when you install them to prevent them from backing out or leaking.

I have antiseize on mine (going into aluminum heads) and they haven't backed out or leaking as far as I know :shrug:

well a cheaper alternative is to scavenge the hardware store for somt bolts to fit in the holes. did that on my 95 with no problems. it should be the same thread as one of the larger bolts on the front holding the accessory bracket to the heads.

plug da hole

Make sure u use a high temp sealant. Most new sets of heads will come with threaded plugs to replace the exhaust cross over tube. Seal em, screw em in, and go out and beat that stang!!!!