Head questions...

drk

Aug 27, 2006
I'm about to snag a nice pair of gt40p heads. They were sent to the shop and had a 3angle valve job. Fully assembled with the exception of rockers, head bolts, and pushrods. With that said, my current 5.0 has some basic boltons and a chip. My questions are:

If I get the heads, do I need to get bigger injectors, pump, etc? Should I ditch the chip when I throw the heads on?

I plan on getting APR headbolts and a cam. Probably a B cam or a Lunati cam. Now, should I get some new rockers as well? If so, which ones would you recommend?

I also plan on throwing a gt40 lower intake on with some kind of upper... This is a budget build, but I want to buy the best parts possible with the little funds I have.

Thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

A mild gt40p setup should run fine with stock injectors.
For an intake since this is budget you might as well get an explorer gt40 style intake.
You'll also need gt40p headers.
Might as well do roller rockers while you are putting the heads on, ford racing ones could usually be found cheap on ebay, 1.6's.
For the cam you may want to find something a little more aggressive than a B, possibly an E which can usally be had dirt cheap.
Don't forget you should get a new timing chain and water pump during the project, both ford racing.

It's the snowball effect, money adds up quickly.

Since you didn't buy the heads quite yet, do seriously take header cost into consideration, not sure how much you are paying for the heads, but if it's $500 or above, i'd reconsider because when you add the headers into the cost, you are in used aluminum territory (or even new, i had a set of gt40y aluminun heads that were new for $699.
Best iv'e seen the ford racing headers for P's is $239

if you do the job and do the rockers make sure you wont have to change the valve covers. you should be good with the 1.6's though. id just check to make sure. youll be fine with the stock injectors. 2nd that with the intake.

Ditch the chip, esp if it's a custom tune.

After the heads and cam, you might want to consider a custom dyno tune, esp if you will be fine with that combo for some time

So I wound up getting the gt40p's. I got them for a hair over 300 shipped.

The heads were recently refreshed at a head shop. Never been installed since head work... They have a 3 angle job and that's all I know of so far. Like I said they are assembled... Valves, retainers, springs. What else do I need for the heads before I install them? Rockers, cams, pushrods, head bolts, head gasket, timing chain... Am I missing anything?

The reason I went with the 40P's is because I got them for 300 and I'm still running stock headers. So I don't mind getting 40P headers...1200 bucks isn't worth the extra 10-15 horsepower I'll get with Aluminums. I'm gunning for about 275 with my settup. I'm thinking about gasket matching the intake/exhaust ports on the heads, getting a 40P lower intake manifold (porting and polishing it).

I've read a P&P'd upper HO intake is just as good as a cobra upper. The weakness is found in the lower, hence why I want to go with a P&P 40P. Mind you, this is a budget oriented build, so getting a new part for 300 more isn't worth the extra 5 hp it may yield.

Thanks for your responses.

You really think you'd only gain 15 more horsepower with something like AFR 165's???

Yes, over the gt40p's with the settup I will be going with. I have no doubt the afr's are better and can make more power, but I'm going with a mild cam, gt40 intake manifolds, and shorty headers and a stock bottom end. The aluminum heads (IMO) would be overkill. 1400 bucks for a set of heads on a car that I spent 1800 on in the first place seems much. This is my daily as well. I'm not trying to debate which heads are better, just trying to get some answers for my questions. My apologies if I offended anyone with AFR's.