head studs

sn-95matt5-0

Nov 6, 2006
alright drove down to the speed shop the other day to pick up some head studs just so i can mock up my engine to make me feel better about all the parts laying around.

the guy told me once a head bolt/stud is torqued down it stretches and should never be reused, and i should buy head bolts now since the motor will be N/A for a while and later buy some studs.

is that true or should i buy my studs now and as long as i dont have head gasket issues and the future they should still be ok for a long haul.

• Sponsors (?)

That guys an idiot. The factory torque to yield bolts can only be used once. ARP head bolts and studs can be reused till the threads wear out. Two totally different types of bolts. Buy the studs. It makes putting heads on easier.

Kurt

ok good to hear i was goin to buy studs. but they only had the bolts there and the dude told me it was a waste to buy the studs if i was goin to take the heads back off. lol the guy also told me there was nothing special about arp when head bolts were concerned that the only time they really stood out was on the rod bolts. so i knew something was up.

yeah man that was at seco. i've had all sorts of problems with them but i cant tell what was crap and what was true with this. i told you about them giving me a chevy 350 stroker kit when i had them order a 408w stroker kit a while back. i took it back to them and they told me it would work fine.i got my money back and just had my 351w rebuilt.

did i tell you i finally got my heads? eddy victor jr's less than an hour of run time on them. i took them to a local machine shop and the guy said they were in perfect condition.