Head unit W/IPOD ready options?

bronco78

Jul 9, 2005
Currently have the Shaker 500, I’m on the third warrantee replacement unit now. When this one dies or sooner, I want to install a new head unit, IPOD ready, CD capable would be nice, but I suppose a separate CD changer is an option I can look at.
I’m a 42 year old Infantry man ,,, so my hearing is not great. As such I do not need uber fidelity, I’m not into a bunch of bells and whistles, no need for DVD players, xbox control ect ect.
Ability’s and sound quality (but better build quality please) of the shaker 500 plus IPOD capable. Should be plug and play, though I’m comfortable with any level of install. What say you gear heads / Audio geeks. What are your recommendations?

• Sponsors (?)

alpine makes some good units if you are looking for a single DIN. i had an alpine unit which worked great, but i just recently removed it for a double DIN JVC unit. and you will be able to use your existing amps and speakers if you choose. good luck!!!

Get a nice Pioneer head unit with an USB Ipod interface . I have been using Pioneer for a headunit for a long time... Hands down the best product out there.

With their USB Ipod interface - you can control the ipod through the actual Pioneer headunit. Simply tuck that ipod away!

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Source/CD-Players

"USB Direct Control for iPod® and more
Pioneer's DEH-P600UB is ready to roll with capability for direct connection to your iPod® . USB 2.0's speed and capability allow an elevated iPod® experience in the car, and nearly limitless expandability for portable media players and USB memory devices.

File search and access are extra-quick. The headunit keeps song, artist, time and album information displays very clear and user-friendly, and control is intuitive through the 7-Way Rotary Commander. The system's wired USB connection provides direct digital signal transfer from the iPod® for clean, clear sound. In addition, Pioneer has developed the following new features to make using your iPod® in the car extremely easy and convenient:

Alphabetical Speed Search
When searching for artist/album, you can initiate alphabet search by pressing "List" button.
Link Search
While listening to a specific artist you can hold "List" button down and it will pop up folders containing that specific artist.
Passenger Control Mode
Allows passenger to use the iPod® directly to browse and select music, while connected to the headunit for playback.
Random (Shuffle) Key
Physical Random Button on faceplate (Shuffle) makes it easy to hear something fresh.
"

The Pioneer Avic-D3 is the most popular head unit for our cars. But if you don't care about touch screen or DVD/Navigation, check out the Pioneer FH-P8000BT. It's not quite out yet, but I think it looks great. The price is going to be reasonable and I think it'll fit really well with the MyColor gauges. Right now they're listing that it won't fit. But I emailed Crutchfield and they said they hadn't received their first shipment yet, so they don't want to say it fits until they get their hands on one.

Alpine makes some great units at a very reasonable cost. There are many, many models out there.
I just got a new Crutchfield catalog and was amazed at the options, some for as little as $200.
The Pioneer GPS units are great. Alpine also has one but you can easily spend $1,000 to $1600. Many basic Alpines, JVC, Pioneer, etc. are all less than $200.
I am partial to Alpine. I have a CD player built into my Alpine but I never use it. Why would you with thousands of songs in the ipod? I also have Sirius, all built in and controlled from the head unit. Sounds much better than the Shaker 500 which I also had problems with.