Header question--which brand?

• Sponsors (?)

GMstomper said:
You obviously know absolutely nothing about science...cooler air is more dense!!! Why do you think we always want our engines sucking in cooler air??

From personal experience I say stay away from MAC exhaust...especially the LT's. Mine will be coming off once I have the spair change.
My bad it's the opposite sorry but the rest is true I swear :bang:

87PonyBoyGT said:
is this true about the h and x pipes? I have an 87 5.0 with an o/r h pipe and bought an x pipe thinking it will give me better performance. My stang is stock except for the exhaust and its my daily driver. if its true what bullet said i wont even bother installing it. :bang:
I would leave the h on you don't need the free flow of an x on a stock car. it's like putting a high rpm manifold on it ( well not so severe). Take a hint of what all the ricers are doing wrong, just because it's loud doesn't make it faster.

I'm not sure about that last comment about leaving the stock h pipe on there. My engine is mostly stock, just a few bolt ons. But i first put a 2.5 catted H pipe on there and it made a huge difference. I then put an off road H pipe on there and i got another decent improvement. Anytime you can move the exhaust out faster is a good thing. It is true that you might loose a little bit of low end grunt if you have a bonestock car with a wide open exhaust...but the high rpm HP is well worth it. just my opinion

ninety15.0 said:
I'm not sure about that last comment about leaving the stock h pipe on there. My engine is mostly stock, just a few bolt ons. But i first put a 2.5 catted H pipe on there and it made a huge difference. I then put an off road H pipe on there and i got another decent improvement. Anytime you can move the exhaust out faster is a good thing. It is true that you might loose a little bit of low end grunt if you have a bonestock car with a wide open exhaust...but the high rpm HP is well worth it. just my opinion
You are exactly right in that comment, but there is such thing as going over board, I run an 2 1/2 off road h in mine as well and 2 chamber flows out to 2 1/4 mandrel bent tails, with 1 5/8 headers. I found that for what I had (near stock) was the best set up I've run. I worked building exhaust for 4 years, so my car has seen more pipe than a **** star, if you go too big you lose volocity, so your exhaust will actually leave the system slower.

Also I 'm not saying to leave the stock hpipe on,go with an after market, the difference of going up one size and losing one set of cats is unbelievable. Or you can go all the way and go O/R. The cats that are on the ford pipes are a primary (preburn) and a secondary (afterburn), are combined into one cat, so they do the same emissions job but the are high flow and more of a direct flow through them. goodluck :nice:

I've run two sets of FMS headers and been pleased with both. Like mentioned above, if you dont get coated ones, they will look like crap after a while, trust me. BBK look real similar to the FRPP. They both have one piece flanges, unlike MAC. Check out this months 5.0 mag, they do a dyno test on BBK shorties and longtubes.

Thanks everyone for all of the input. I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I had to go out of town unexpectedly for a couple of days. I decided to go w/ the FMS shorties w/ Jet Hot coating. CAN'T WAIT until they get here...and neither can my wife--I'm driving her crazy talking about them! Again, I REALLY do appreciate all of the feedback. It definitely helped me make my decision. Happy 'Stanging! Bryan