Headers for 98 gt ?

GT 5spd

Apr 9, 2004
I am thinking about getting headers for my 98 GT. I was thinking about MAC Long tubes with pro chamber and mac flowpaths. 3 inch pipe.. should i get the headers or just stick to the manifolds and go with the prochamber and flowpaths? so what i am tring to say is, will the headers be worth the money and time puting them on?? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I personally think the only thing that MAC makes thats any good is their midpipes, like their pro-chamber. I wouldn't get MAC headers. Get something else.

SLP makes great headers, as well as a few other companies.

stangman said:
i've had a full mac setup several times. i LOVE the sound, no complaints at all here
Did you have 2.5 inch collectors or 3 inch collectors???? and which would be better for me 2.5 or 3 ? My car is stock but have many to do mods in the future like head swap...

GT 5spd said:
Did you have 2.5 inch collectors or 3 inch collectors???? and which would be better for me 2.5 or 3 ? My car is stock but have many to do mods in the future like head swap...

2.5 will do fine for you, that's what i had on mine. there is no benefit to having the 3" collectors & plus it won't seal as well as the 2.5, that's just me though.

GT 5spd - The 3in. collector is not needed...maybe if you did the pi head swap and a supercharger in the future and then you can "talk" about it:)

Just have some patience with the install:nice:

stangman said:
i got 13rwhp out of them (mustang dyno). it's a good prep mod, especially since he's planning a PI swap

You got the PI heads though;)...but I think it would be good for him to get them for the future. The only things I'm worried about for him is ongtubes will get a better midranging power over the shortys (so the "pro" is more power) but some forget to mention the cons of it which are buying a matching mid-pipe (more money and aren't able to use the stock mid-pipe) along with ground clearance issues (especially on a lower car) and also the difficulty of install is "stepped up" quite a bit when trying to get longtubes in. It also can cause heat-soak issues and steering column clearance/rubbing issues. The potential purchaser has to ask themself is the extra midrange worth it? So are any of these problems like this on the 4.6L...because I know you run into those problems in the 5.0L cars... :shrug:

Your stock manifolds aren't going to be a cork for quite a while....even with a PI headswap. There are a lot more worthwhile purchases that can be made in the meantime. Go with the midpipe and catback first, then take care of a few things on the inductions side. The stock manifolds do a pretty decent job until you reach the 290-300rwhp level or so. :)

5spd GT said:
You got the PI heads though;)...but I think it would be good for him to get them for the future. The only things I'm worried about for him is ongtubes will get a better midranging power over the shortys (so the "pro" is more power) but some forget to mention the cons of it which are buying a matching mid-pipe (more money and aren't able to use the stock mid-pipe) along with ground clearance issues (especially on a lower car) and also the difficulty of install is "stepped up" quite a bit when trying to get longtubes in. It also can cause heat-soak issues and steering column clearance/rubbing issues. The potential purchaser has to ask themself is the extra midrange worth it? So are any of these problems like this on the 4.6L...because I know you run into those problems in the 5.0L cars... :shrug:

no that was on my last 98, i got 19rwhp (mustang dyno) on my 03. & like i said before in other threads, i've had 3 set's of LT's & no problems at all with them (all mac headers also). also the install is EXACTLY the same on any header on a 4.6 motor & my car is lowered 1 1/2" with no problems with clearance. not to say he won't have problems, but on the cars i've had lt's on i've never had a clearance issue on them (all lowered 1 1/2"). i've scraped the prochamber cause i didn't have it tucked up high enough, but never trhe lt's

stangman said:
no that was on my last 98, i got 19rwhp (mustang dyno) on my 03. & like i said before in other threads, i've had 3 set's of LT's & no problems at all with them (all mac headers also). also the install is EXACTLY the same on any header on a 4.6 motor & my car is lowered 1 1/2" with no problems with clearance. not to say he won't have problems, but on the cars i've had lt's on i've never had a clearance issue on them (all lowered 1 1/2"). i've scraped the prochamber cause i didn't have it tucked up high enough, but never trhe lt's

That isn't to bad of a gain on non-pi headed car...thanks for the correction...I thought you were talking about your 03 in your sig. I have seen clearance problems first hand with longtubes...but atleast you "disclaimed" it :)

5spd GT said:
That isn't to bad of a gain on non-pi headed car...thanks for the correction...I thought you were talking about your 03 in your sig. I have seen clearance problems first hand with longtubes...but atleast you "disclaimed" it :)

no problem i should have been more clear. i try to disclaim everything i put on here, cause if ya don't you'll have 2 or 3 people try to debate you, lol

LTs + ProChamber + flowpaths should sound pretty amazing. Granted, I've heard alot of people have had quality/fitment issues w/MAC products, but i think your best bet for little to no worries on the install will come from using all the parts from the same manufacturer. Customer service should be more helpful, too , considering you bought a complete set up from them

Gunfighter said:
LTs + ProChamber + flowpaths should sound pretty amazing. Granted, I've heard alot of people have had quality/fitment issues w/MAC products, but i think your best bet for little to no worries on the install will come from using all the parts from the same manufacturer. Customer service should be more helpful, too , considering you bought a complete set up from them

macs customer service was awesome to me. i had a problem with one of the headers i put on my present car, there was a crack in one of the flange/tube welds. we found the leak, called them & told them about it. they overnighted me a new set the next day. so needless to say, i was more than impressed :nice:

I have helped put on 4 different set of mac products (headers/2 prochambers/catback)...the headers were the only thing that gave me any problems but they had been on and off a few times and are probably 5-7 years old on a daily driver...