headers not lining up anymore???

torch93

Aug 14, 2010
bakersfield c.a
im in the middle of changing my header gasket and trying to put on my bolts, and i can only get a couple bolts in. the others go in off thread :bang:, and i got afr 185 so i dont wanna strip the threads:nonono:... could all this mean my headers are wharped? i had em since 2003 and they r mac shorties..do u guys recom. new headers? and if ya then should i go shorties or long tubes?:shrug:
t.i.a

• Sponsors (?)

Say the secret word and spend $$$ on new headers ... Mac. All Mac headers seem to be made with individual flanges for the head to header junction. It is not uncommon for them to not fit after they have been heated up and then removed.

Make sure your next set of headers have a single steel plate at least 1/4" thick that all the pipes are welded to. Ford Racing are some of the best, and they fit time after time and don't warp or twist.

Ok I'm glad to hear (kinda) that I'm not the only one... Ya I don't mind gettin some new headers.. I had those cuz I got em for free. But not worth keeping.... Larrym1961 drilling idea might work.. Cuz the bolts are off by like 35 40 mils of a inch..

When I installed my 306 I went with a BBK 1 5/8 ceramic coated full length header. If I were to install a shortie style header the Ford Racing 1 5/8 stainless would be a nice way to go a lot of guys here on Stangnet seem to agree!

I had a set of MAC shorties that did the same thing, warped under heating and cooling. MAC headers are known for warping because of the individual flange tubes. You should be able to line them back up when bolting on with a pry bar. I swapped them out to a set of solid flange headers and those never warped. You get what you pay for in this game.

They'll work ok i guess. Not very big on the o2 placement. Would like it better if it was in the collector to measure each side as a whole. And you will hate the collector because it uses a gasket whick will always leak!!! You should look into the mac long tubes. They have individual flanges also but you can move the tubes very easily without a prybar!!

my bbk shorties did this. it was a nightmare. i had to drill out the holes a little bigger so they would line up with the bolt holes on the heads. all because of one little bolt that was missing, i ended up taking the whole thing apart...

Bassani equals, I'll never use another mac product again, i've had plenty of mac products go bad, all things i bought at cheap pricing, but it isn't really cost effective to do things twice. Pay now, save later.
Since you are using afr 185's, i'll assume that your car makes pretty good power, probably enough that standard shorties are a restriction.

Long tubes are ok, but require the headers and a new h pipe, they also have some ground clearance issues on lowered cars and may require extensions for the o2 sensors.

I've had a few sets of headers and seen pretty much them all.
Bassani's are my favorite out of what i'd consider affordable headers, although they are twice as much as the crappy brands.
Kooks would be my number one favorite, but you are going to pay serious money for them.

i got my car back from the paint shop couples days ago and i went ahead and just drill out the bolt holes a lil bigger and got the job done:nice: .. however im going to get some bassani equal or something similar, just i hate to go through the same road again:nonono:... thanks guys for the huge help :SNSign: