Headlight cleaning and More INFO!!!

MoNsTaMaCk24

Founding Member
Aug 12, 2002
Shippensburg, PA
Ok so i have this civic si and I have been on their forums a lot! Well i came across some interesting information. You can sand headlights... Meguirs makes a thing called PLASTX. Works amazing! I sanded my headlights on my civic with 2000 grit and cleared up basically everything. Like yellowness and hazing. Also some information may help 99-00 guys. These guys bake their headlights at like 200 degrees in a oven one at a time for like 10 minutes loosens up that glue that holds together the lens and housing and they paint the chrome inside the headlights black or any desireable color you would like. I saw this also works on Supra headlights. I think this is TECH... It requires work! :SNSign: Feel free to chime in and I have yet to try this on any ford headlights...

• Sponsors (?)

Baking and plastic usually doesnt mix too well, haha.

I would go with a hairdryer and some gentle prying.

But pretty nice info... I wet sanded mine with some 2000 grit a few weeks ago, and they are starting to crap up again. I should have started with something alot rougher and gotten way down in the plastic. If I do it again instead of buying new lights, ill probaly go the way you just mentioned.

I posted a tutorial of how I did mine a few weeks ago .... let me see if I can find it ...

Yeah here ya go:

If you follow this procedure you will be amazed!

You will need:
- 800 grit wet-sand paper
- 1000 grit
- 1500 grit
- 2000 grit
- Some 3M polishing compound
- Another polish you like
- Shaded area (not direct sunlight)
- Some time!

The procedure:
- Clean headlights first with soap and water (dishwashing detergent works great to get as much bugs and crap off as possible)
- Wet-sand in the order that I listed above. Start with 800, 1000, etc. The key is to use a lot of water. Keep the sandpaper wet while you sand, this is very important.
- As you start to wetsand the headlights, you will say to yourself "damn I am scratching these things up" ... and you are. They should get more and more hazy and after the 2000 grit they will be super smooth but stupid cloudy. This is OK! As you WET sand, you will see some milky looking water .. this is just the crap coming off your headlights. You basically want to smooth the surface by sanding in one direction (back and forth) only. Each stage of sandpaper will make the surface more and more smooth but more cloudy as well. Once you get to the 1500 and 2000 grit, your goal is to WET sand using a plenty of water and you should start to see the headlight get clearer while sanding with water. So, when the headlights are dry, they will be hazy and smooth. But when you are wet-sanding they will appear very clear (especially when you get to 2000 grit). After you have done this, let the headlight dry, or dry it off in the same back and forth direction that you sanded in (would not want to scratch them at this point.
- Now is when the magic happens!! Get out some 3M polishing compound, polish on - polish off and you will be shocked at the clarity (for the crappy design that the headlights are). Then use another polish that you like (step is optional).

Whatever you do, do not WAX the headlights afterwards for at least 1 month. I have no facts to back this up as to why, but I wouldn't.

If you follow those steps, take your time!!, you will have kickass results! I just described it in detail but it is not hard and worth the time (for me at least)