Headlight knob help

Midnight97GT

Dec 19, 2004
SoCal
I need to clean the inside glass of my speedometer, but i dont know how to take off the headlight knob. I want to just pull it off but im afraid its going to snap and not go back on. Does anybody know how to get the headlight knob off because i cant get the plastic frame off withouth first pulling the knob off.
100_0905.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

Pull on the knob all the way so that your headlights come on. Then turn it clockwise or counterclockwise until you see a rod and a plastic latch. Take a flathead screwdriver, pull on that latch and the headlight knob towards you. It should pop right out.

you can also bend a nail to a 90 degree angle and pry the pin towards you. Work the nail and the screwdriver and it should come off. It's probably the hardest part of working with the cluster lol.

What the guys said, however when you've got a small flathead screwdriver in the slot and are pushing the latching mechanism towards you, make sure you keep a firm pulling pressure on the headlight knob.

Think Torque not HP :D

The easy part is removing the headlight knob. To get at the inside of the lens you have to take a dremmel tool or a hacksaw blade and cut the areas to seperate it where it is epoxied together, then clean the lens and reglue it together. I found this out when I installed a billit aluminum overlay onto my instrument panel.

cronin49 said:
The easy part is removing the headlight knob. To get at the inside of the lens you have to take a dremmel tool or a hacksaw blade and cut the areas to seperate it where it is epoxied together, then clean the lens and reglue it together. I found this out when I installed a billit aluminum overlay onto my instrument panel.

Ditto, I messed the first one up and had to order a new one. And when they come new they come glued to the black part :bang: so I still had to cut it. However if you just need a clean lens and dont want to put any inserts in there for all the hassle I would just order a new lens and black part to slap in there and be done with if for $25. got mine from cjponyparts.

Just cut the knob off and get a nice billet replacement.
The clear lens is a pain to cut off.

Why does the inside need to be cleaned?

That's just odd.

Use blue magic plastic and plexiglass cleaner on the outisde and it should be fine.

StangPro said:
Just cut the knob off and get a nice billet replacement.
The clear lens is a pain to cut off.

Why does the inside need to be cleaned?

That's just odd.

Use blue magic plastic and plexiglass cleaner on the outisde and it should be fine.

I think some mildew got in their and made the inside really dirty and foggy.