Headlight relays....

I am about to start installing my Headlight relays so I can run these H4 55/60Watt bulbs and was wondering if anyone has tackled this and would like to give me some pointers? I have the diagrams pulled up but any additional help would be appreciated greatly.

• Sponsors (?)

make sure you use quality relays, i didnt once with some driving lights i installed and they failed. it did make in interesting buzzing sound when i tried to turn the lights on though. my suggestion though would be to buy a plug in harness from someplace like lmctruck.com pick on early model truck line, ford chevy it doesnt matter, say a 1972 model, and buy the harness. they are listed in the lights and lenses section, and only cost like $30 plus shipping. they are virtually plug and play, you just have to hook up the power and ground leads, and route the harness.

if you still insist on doing it yourself, then take your time, pull the relay energizing power from the factory headlight harness itself. run the power either from the battery itself or the battery side of the solenoid. and DONT FORGET THE FUSES. the relays should be 30-40amp units and the fuses should be 20amp. the main power through the relay to the lights should be at least 12 gauge wire, but 10 gauge is better.

Yea, I have it almost done now but the headlight harnesses I have found locally do not have the heavy 10-12G wire attached so I am going to go look around more tomorrow. If I cant find anything I will check out that link you sent. I ran the power from the Alt. output and then installed a fuse box next to the Radiator so I can have a central location for the Electric fan, Driving lights, H4 Headlights & whatever comes up next. Do you have any idea it is doing wiring like this with your two kids underneather you the whole time....:eek: