heads + cams better then all else?

Torinalth

Founding Member
Jul 16, 2002
Clayton NC
i was told that getting a nice set of flowing heads and a good set of cams would push the GT to 300+ rwhp...... is this true? if this is correct then you are looking at ~2200 to get to 300+ instad of about the same money for bolt ons to get to 280 or so....

can anyone confirm on deny this? money wise its about the same... but a lot larger jump considering its a one time job to get the power... almost like dropping on a blower... and still staying NA. possibly needing a tune though... anybody have any knowledge on this?

Torinalth

• Sponsors (?)

I'm doing the heads and cam thing. I ordered some heads from patriot-performance and some VT stage 2 blower cams (I will probably run a s/c someday). I'm also doing longtube headers and a PI intake at the same time. I'm expecting to be close to 280 with these mods, more if I used N/A cams. It is recommended to bolt on some headers, TB, and pletium at the same time to accent the free flowing heads.

so from what you are saying though 300 is a bit steep estimate for just heads and cams.... was just trying to fathom how that would be possible...

thinking about doing VT stage 1 (2300-6000 rpm range over 6500 rpm) and all the other goodies instead of heads, though was reconsidering if heads would do 300 to the floor with the cams.

Torinalth

Torinalth said:
by lock, meaning just heads and cams? i'm looking at heads and cams with nothing else, vs all boltons.

Torinalth

You will need a good majority of the bolt-ons plus heads/cams if you're looking to get close to 300HP. Heads and cams on an otherwise rock stock 4.6 2V car isn't going to do it.

h/c, tune, midpipe(at least)

that should get the car there, if not a plenum/tb combo and pullies would probably make up another 10rwhp or so needed. I am just guessing at all of this, based on everybody elses mods ive seen

i dont think he has a power problem.

my friend just put his stroker together

@11.5:1 compression
vt stage 2s
worked heads
longtubes
tune
bullitt intake

348rwhp and 370+rwt

those were roughly his numbers

it all depends on the dyno, tune and combo of mods. you can put a dyno queen together with the right selection of mods, but the real key is avg power under the curve in the racing rpms iMO