Heat shield for my new HOOD!!

TRIBALMAN23

Feb 23, 2008
My new GTS-3 hood is currently in the body shop get a little work on the area closest to the windshield and get a nice coat of paint.

I was wanting to see if anyone knew where to get something like dyno mat for the underneath side of my hood to keep the paint from bubbling up under engine heat.

Is there a universal kit to cut to size or can I find something a little more pre-made?

Is there such a product that comes in black to match my paint? Is there something like this that will also look good under the hood without have something look like a huge piece of foil stuck to the underneath side of my hood?:shrug:

Any and all suggestions will greatly appreciated!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

I've had my hood blanket off since last summer and my paint is fine. I can't see fiberglass retaining the heat like the OEM aluminum hood to cause the bubbling. Perhaps it was just the lack of and/or bad prep before painting.

Does anyone think it to be wise in getting something to help protect it?
It is a daily driver and does end up sitting in the sun for most of the day:(
I just don't want to waste my money if it will happen to me.

I started looking into this after I discovered another guy on a different forum having this problem. It does make sense to think it was poor prep work/paint job. I still have a fear of this happening to me. Does it matter that is being painted BLACK?

Again any input is welcomed, even if it just an opinion.

We have the Cervini's C500 hood. The car sees track duty at least once a month and sees plenty of engine heat from it. No problems here on the underside or top side. No need to worry.

I wouldn't worry about it either. Even being black won't make a big enough difference to bubble paint. If the prep/paint work is of a good quality and it still bubbles up, most of the plastic under your hood will have likely melted as well.

Bubbling paint on any car is poor prep. I ran the same hood as Dark for a year and now the ram air cervinis instead, noth black, and if it were to bubble I'd be in my painters face..

As Kool said the hood will not get as hot as you think, even with a blower under the hood. Leave the underside shiney painted black and don't look back..

GOOD INFO

I too appreciate everyone's input! :nice:

I just got a Cali-Dream Ram-Air Hood, and I was wondering about the lack of a Heat Sheild. My hood is at the paint shop now, and I can't wait to pick it up next week! :D

Thanks Again, and HAPPY 4th of JULY!!! :flag:

Don't mean to hijack Tribal's thread, but I've got a similar question.

Sometimes I get so much heat from the engine into the cabin that I swear the heater is on. I've been thinking about Dynamatting my doors and trunk area since I recently had a stereo installed. Would putting Dynamat or something similar on the firewall help keep engine heat out of the cabin?