heater core replacement

• Sponsors (?)

It's not so bad. The hardest part is tearing the dash apart. Bag and Tag all bolts, screws etc.... Start out with removing the console, radio, heater controls, glove box door, instrument panel, speaker grills etc...most anything that will come apart needs too...make sure to disconnect the heater hoses!!

After I got the dash down (not out) enough to reach the heater box, I took the trusty dremel and cut the box open enough to get the core out. Eased in the new core and duct taped the box lid together.
Haynes and Ford manuals say to blow down the A/C system so you can remove the entire box- not so.
I tore mine down in an afternoon and put it together the next morning.
Works like a champ too :nice:

Ford wanted right at 900.00 to replace the heater core while other shops wanted 750.00 to replace it. This was on my 93' 2.3L LX, if it was me I would by a core and do it my self before I payed that much to do it. You need to set a side a full day to do it since there is a a lot of stuff envolved in doing it, on my car it was like 11hrs at taking our time :) Now if your car has AC you may have to discharge it and remove the AC lines in order to remove the core. If you car is running R-12 I would find someone with a catch can to collect the R12 since it cost a ton now days.

Ponycar said:
If you cut the heater box, you don't need to mess with th A/C. However if you want to change to 134a it will cost around 40-50$$.

I will use R12 as long as I can on my old cars. The new stuff sometimes don't work to good on a car not designed for it. Like when you stop at a light it want keep cool like R12 does. Now on a newer car it works great like our Tahoe. My SVO is converted to 134a but I haven't put any in it to see how good it works, but with summer almost here I will find out :rolleyes: It cost me 75.00 for R12 and 30.00 to vaccum down the system to check for leaks on my 93' LX, so 105.00 for my Ice cold A/C wasn't to bad :nice: Now I think my compressor is going out lol Always something with these cars :bang: