Hello & have a question !

Hey guys (& gals), I'm new here but not new to Mustangs by any means. I have started my new Mustang project and gotten to the point that I need more info.
I am installing a 1993 2.3 Liter and an A4LD in a 1965 Mustang convertible. So far the wiring simplification is going well. Mounts won't be a problem but I have gotten to the point that I need a pin out chart for the 2300 in a 1993 Mustang. I could do it by the process of elimination but the chart would help. If anyone knows of a link to a chart, let me know.
I may or may not be posting in the right section. Coach me on this site if neccessary. Every Forum is different. I'll be posting pics when possible. My little $25- digital camera is not very good. Here is a pic of the EGR delete. I found some info already about what value of resistors to use to make the ECM think that the EGR is functioning properly. Til later, :)
upperintake01.JPG

Attachments

• upperintake01.JPG
    upperintake01.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 89
  • Sponsors (?)

wow, is that thing gonna be strong enough to push your car?
anyway hit Stinger up with a pm if he doesnt respond to this. he is a wizard with the 2.3

Hey, Man, can you share the info on how to fool the comp into thinking the EGR works? I disabled my EGR, and I want to turn off my CEL, so that when it's on I know something real is going wrong.

Power & weight

wow, is that thing gonna be strong enough to push your car?

The '65 Mustangs weighs 2700 to 2800 pounds. The Fox bodies weighed in at over 3000. Today I was considering adding a turbo unit off of an '83 Thunderbird that I have. The 2300 is already pretty peppy with the A4LD and the 3.73~ gears. The old 170 CI 1 bbl that I removed had under 100 horsepower. The 2300 will pull it along quite nicely !:D with air conditioning and power steering too...

EGR Eliminator

Hey, Man, can you share the info on how to fool the comp into thinking the EGR works? I disabled my EGR, and I want to turn off my CEL, so that when it's on I know something real is going wrong.

Here is the simple plug in way to eliminate the EGR and tell the ECM what it wants to hear...
Click here: EGR Eliminator
Here is some other useful info but it is 5.0 oriented. This is what I am looking for for the 2300
click here: for ECM and electrical information

gregwork2.JPG

BUSTED ! Sleeping on the job again..."Hey, It's lunchbreak and my feets is cold..."

Attachments

• gregwork2.JPG
    gregwork2.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 85
Stinger Performance has a pinout comparison between the Dual Plug 91-93 ECUs and the earlier Turbo Coupe ECUs. If nothing else, it'll give you a pin for pin listing of what's what on the ECU you have.

Check the tech article section on his site for the 91-93 turbo motor swap write-up.

GOvert

Don't just install the turbo onto the engine you have now, though, that's a recipe for disaster.

If I might ask, why did you go with the A4LD? Convenience? (i.e. I assume the car was already an automatic)
Obviously I have some learning to do about the turbo stuff. Presently I'm going to install the almost stock engine and trans out of the '93 into the '65. I'm using the A4LD because it is already behind the 2300 and the 2300 sure likes 4 gears instead of 3 as if I used a C-4 out of a Pinto. I can do a couple of upgrade mods to the A4LD that I did on my bro's Explorer. A fluid flow improvement and stronger springs having to do with OD gear. I'm also using the 7.5 diffy with 3.73 gears. It's an inch wider than the 8 inch that came stock in '65 and '66's. The extra width won't be a problem even with 7 inch wide wheels.

Here is a pic of the donor Mustang
93donor.JPG

This was one of my customers cars.
It was always well maintained. I bought it after he totaled it

The car was hit so hard in the right side that the ECM wouldn't come out the "normal" way
View attachment 407303
I'm using a sidecutter or some woud say cutoff tool to get to the computer
View attachment 407305
I think I got it
93ecm2.JPG

out it comes
View attachment 407309
main ECM connector, for those who havn't seen one before
93ecm5.JPG

now the computer is laying on the cowl, reconnected. The harness that runs from the ECM towards the column and air bag module is now running through a hole in the windshield for the moment

It's been a couple of weeks since I took any pictures. I'll have one of the "electronics" board that the ECM, integrated relay module and the DIS module are all mounted on and one of the electronics mounted in the '65 Mustang dash in the glove box area. Right now I really have quite a nest of wiring going on. I'm carefully removing what I don't need. Also studying up on this turbo stuff. I may or may not do that mod. I really do like the performance of the 8 plug engine. Any questions or suggestions are welcome:flag:

If you're allready planning on swapping in an engine, computer, drivetrain, and tranny, I'll just say first what somebody else will say later.

See about grabbing a running (even if crappy looking) TC, and swap in the turbo 2.3. You'll get the light weight and good milage that the 2.3 provides, plus you'll be able to easily mod it up to 250+ HP with little effort. (Heck, Stinger, what are you running on a car that you can easily DD? 500+ HP? And he did it with a grand total of less than 3 grand.)

Plus, I doubt anybody has a 65 with a 2.3T.

If you're allready planning on swapping in .....
See about grabbing a running (even if crappy looking) TC, and swap in the turbo 2.3, Plus, I doubt anybody has a 65 with a 2.3T.
I already own the '93. Scratched the Turbo idea. Only mod that I am doing is EGR delete and retune the computer. I havn't found/seen anyone with a 2.3 in an early Mustang. Building a "Sonic" cruiser. Rather look good with 25 MPG instead of saying "I'm faster than anybody else".

Electronics board

I'll start a new thread soon with the 1965/2300 build-up. Guys, let me know if there is a better sub-forum than this one to post it in.
Here are a few pictures of the electronics and the dash where it will be mounted. You'll see in the near future that the engine/wiring etc., will be the easy part of the mod/restoration. The convertible was sitting in the dirt when I got it. It practically will be totally rebuilt structurally, metalwise. I started working on Mustangs in 1976. I have a little experience, and still learning everyday.
Anyway, here are the pics:
elecboard01.JPG

elecboard02.JPG

EEC/ECM mounted on the bottom of the board, relay box and DIS module on top
elecboard03.JPG

board mounted in '65 Mustang dash, glove box area. ECM nestled up in the curve of the dash. I'm real happy with the "fit" on the first attempt. I'll know soon if there will be any "RF" interference between the EEC and the DIS module. I'm leaving a few feet of wire on the DIS module in case I have to move it away from the computer
12907.JPG

I'll post some more pics after the weather gets better. It's abnormally cold here in north Alabama and the project is currently being worked on outside. Til later:flag:

Attachments

• elecboard03.JPG
    elecboard03.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 87
  • elecboard02.JPG
    elecboard02.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 71
  • elecboard01.JPG
    elecboard01.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 12907.JPG
    12907.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 71
Thanks Stinger

Stinger, Thanks. I found your site Sunday. Very informative. The pinout chart will really help speed up the wiring disection.
Should I anticipate any problems deleting the EGR and catalytic converter ?
From what I'm reading there is not really any way to adjust the "tuning" of the EEC. I'm actually real happy with the stock performance of the '93 package as it has to do with my particular application, IE, I'm not trying to build a race car, just good reliable transportation with good milage. Thanks again !:D

It doesn't care if you delete the EGR and/or cat. Neither one will create running issues or make a check engine light come on. It will throw a "code" but as long as you know why it's throwing the code, it doesn't matter.

GOvert Project Update

It has been a couple of months since I have been able to work on the GOvert project however here is a quick update.
I happily got the electrical system re-routed in a rough sort of way. There are about 50 wires now that will have to be made longer or shorter. I was showing it to Mark the last time he was out and I kind of missed his question the first time around. I'm not so much trying to eliminate any sensors or systems other than deleting the EGR part of it electrically and mechanically. Actually the challenge was removing the "computer" harness from the main harness. Unlike the early computer controlled cars/engines that had a seperate ECM harness from the main harness, the "93 4 cyl Mustang had just one, big, messy harness. I sucessfully seperated the computer harness out of the main harness and over a period of 2 to 3 months and a whole lot of coffee, did this without letting out any "magic smoke". I've got the car back at the shop now and have left the battery hooked up for almost 3 months now without any electrical problems or dead battery syndrome.
93elec80407.JPG

As you can see from the picture it is quite a "nest" of wire and this doesn't include the 10 or so pounds of wire and instrument cluster that I deleted. The starter solenoid is mounted on the inside of the cowl and when it is installed in the '65 mustang will be located in the righthand torque box near the starter accessible from the inside of the car by folding back the front passenger carpet and removing an access panel to get to the solenoid.
battery01.JPG

The battery is behind the drivers seat now and in the '65 will be under the left rear seat installed much like and old VW Beetle battery was from the factory.
underhood.JPG

The engine compartment area is starting to look cleaned up a bit without all the wires running to the DIS module, relay box etc. When I install the headlight and other harnesses in the '65 I am going to route them through the frame rails to kind of "hide" them too.

Well this is all for now and I am going to have to save up for all of the metal required to rebuild the sub-body.

Inner convertible rocker assy's
One piece floor pan
Convertible quarter panels
Trunk floor drop offs
Rear frame rails (back halfs)
Rear conv cross brace
Front aprons
Radiator support
Front frame rail repair panels
ETC
ETC
ETC

More later...........

Attachments

• battery01.JPG
    battery01.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 93elec80407.JPG
    93elec80407.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 77
  • underhood.JPG
    underhood.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 79
It's been a while since I've posted a progress report on the GOvert Project. I did get a chance to work on some of the brake parts details. I'll have the booster and brace ready for installation after the roller bearing conversion is complete.
I will soon be fitting a "dummy" engine and Pinto C-4 into the '65 soon. I have a small pile of mounts and brackets to work with. I have frame mounts from a '65 six cyl, a '65 Mustang V-8 and a '64.5 V-8 too. I also have engine mounts from a 4.0 Explorer 4.0. 4 cyl MII, and Fox body 4 cyl. I'll be able to settle in on the fore and aft location easily with the Pinto C-4 and a '65 trans mount.
I will be posting some new pics soon using a new camera.
It should be an interesting swap in light of today's gas prices. I think I'll be able to get close to 30 MPG on the Interstate. I may have to change gears to do that though. The final drive ratio is currently 3.73 x .7=2.611.