HELP ASAP need to get to work and car is well messed up

spade33

Nov 14, 2006
Tempe, Arizona
HELP I NE4ED TO LEAVE TO WORK AT 4 AND ITS ONE RIGHT NOW AND SOMETHIGN IS WRONG WTIH MY CAR.....:( i was driving to my parents house to go see my girlfreind when i noticed a really large rattling noice allthe sudden i pulled off hte road and looked at the engine ust so eee if i could tellwaht it was....no luck so i drove to my dads houe about 5 min from there so i coiuld get some tools to take of the valve covers so maybe i could check to see if one of the rockers was loose...it was so i tightened it down to the right specs and started the engine to see if it helped...it made the noice even louder then kept dieng after a second so i took the cover off again and the same rocker was loose again...so i took the push rod out to check it and it is fine straight as an arrow. what is the problem,? i need to get to work by 4 and it is one right now and i cant figure out what is happenign.... by the way the car is a 289 in a 66 mustang original motor as far as i know

• Sponsors (?)

Okay, well there is something really wrong and I'm thinking you might have to remove the head to further determine what it is. I suggest that you not drive your car anywhere.

However removing the loose rocker and pushrod from your engine, along with unplugging the sparkplug wire to the affected cylinder will allow you to drive the stang. I know this because I once had a rocker arm break and the engine ran like spit. Pulled over, removed the valvecover, removed the rocker and pushrod, drove (ran like spit still), removed the sparkplug wire, and drove the rest of the 20 miles home no problems.

Do your heads have studs or bolts for the rockers? If you do have studs, then it sounds like the rocker stud backed out of the head, thus causing your initial loose rocker (was it the exhaust or intake side???), Now you cant tighten it up cause it is backed out. See if you can put a straight edge across the tops of your rocker studs to see if it did back out.

Do your heads have studs or bolts for the rockers? If you do have studs, then it sounds like the rocker stud backed out of the head, thus causing your initial loose rocker (was it the exhaust or intake side???), Now you cant tighten it up cause it is backed out. See if you can put a straight edge across the tops of your rocker studs to see if it did back out.

I think this sounds probable.

I think this sounds probable.

If it is the problem, you might have a bigger problem if it was the exhaust rocker, cause you could have broken a piston, cause the exhaust gases had no where to go cause the valve was not opening and you kept feeding it more gas.....

I would do a Compression and leak down test if I were you....

well looks like this is going to take a while to fix so i got a hold of a friends car so i could make it to work and back and try and deal with it tomarrow beacuase i dont have anything to do so i will try some of thoese tests or at least the ones i have the equipment to do and tehn i will get back to you with more information THANKS GUYS any more info would be greatly appreciated and im not sure if its the intake or exhaust side its the one further back in the set of two so the one closer to the rear of the car

ok so i got another look at it today kinda a more calm overview of it instead of just cursing and swearing since i dot have work or school or anything today i can take my time. but as i was looking it looks as if the spring is compressed now thats with the lifter off of it is that right? ok so i just looked at it again and found out the spring is broken dont know how tho or why so to replace that i assume the heads have to come of correct?

ok so i got another look at it today kinda a more calm overview of it instead of just cursing and swearing since i dot have work or school or anything today i can take my time. but as i was looking it looks as if the spring is compressed now thats with the lifter off of it is that right? ok so i just looked at it again and found out the spring is broken dont know how tho or why so to replace that i assume the heads have to come of correct?

Check the valve, pull it all the way up with the spring off and make sure it seats all the way. I say this (as well as my first post) because I had a similar situation last fall in the 90, and a valve was bent.

Don't let the valve fall down into the cylinder.

Broken valve spring, I didn't think of that first off.

Probably the valve will have been bent by contact with the piston. Hope not, I got my fingers crossed for you.

Autozone will rent you a tool you can use to pull the springs off and replace them with the head still on the motor. You either have to pressurize the cylinder by taking the spark plug out and using a fiting with an air compressor or you can use various other methods to ensure that the valve doesn't fall out of the head and into the cylinder. some people suff a nylon cord into the hold and then raise the piston to the top of the cylinder. This works just fine. There are other ways to do it, a million ways to skin this cat.

ok well i went ahead and pulled the head off just beacause i figured i would have to because i assumed since the spring was broken taht someting else was wrong and well yea the valve stem is bent but i already have the head out so waht can i do no i assume i need to remove the spring and valve...by the way the head and engine have a lot of build up or what i think is alot i will go take pictures now so you all can see what ive been doing and how its been going by the way this is the motor that was with the car and i am planning on building up a motor to replace it in the near future i have about a grand saved up and i need a couple more and then i can start going at it so hopefully this motor wont be in there longer than 6 months and i will have a beast to replace it with....well a moderate beast:D