HELP Bent pushrods why?

Js5ohLX

Apr 5, 2004
Ohio
HELP Bent pushrods and broken rocker why?

I just fired up my car, it was running, pretty rough, set the timing, then started sounding funny, I thought maybe dropped a valve or a rocker came off. Pull the valve covers, and my pushrods are bent to hell. I used trickflow springs with all the stock retainers and pushrods. Do I just need better pushrods, or do I need to get different retainers as well. This really sucks, any help would be appreciated thanks. :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :nonono: :mad:

Edit: I took off the other valve cover and found a broken in half rocker arm. This scares me any other suggestion? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Not that i'm blaming you for it, but most of the time the cause is from over-revving. That and if you have a high rocker arm ratio, that only makes it worse/more proned to the problem.

That's what I'm hoping, i didn't over rev it, it was just idling, i reved it to like 3-4g a couple times, but no problems, I was walking away from it when it went to hell. I'm gonna get some good pushrods and try it again.

Could be coil bind! Meaning the springs are stacking. Did you check the Installed spring height? Or just throw them on? It could also mean not enough piston to valve clearance! Or the rockers not adjusted right meaning too tight. It could also mean the valves were floated OVER REVVED. Usually when the pushrods bend there is a mechanical bind in the valvetrain. The pushrods are the weak link so they usually let go first. If you are LUCKY the only damage is the pushrods. Hopefully you did not bend a valve. If I were you I'd take it apart and find the problem and FIX it the right way before it costs you any more money. The only reason the aftermarket heads require hardened pushrods is because they have guideplates and also stiffer valvesprings. When using guideplates you must have hard pushrods to be compatible with them.

I couldn't have hit valves, my lift is 5.12 on the intake and 498 on exhaust. I upgraded to the trickflow springs because of the cam lift. I don't see how they could coil bind, because they are matched for the cam. It never sounded like it was smacking valves, it just made a little loose rocker sound that got louder and louder till eventually an intake valve quit opening, then I shut it down. These springs are way stiffer than the stocks, so that's all I can figure, but I don't want to buy roller rockers and hardened pushrods, just to break something else ya know?

You must have some sort of mechanical bind somewhere! Did you check the installed height of the springs? They must be installed correctly. If you are using stock heads and valves the keeper grooves on the exhaust valves are alot lower on the stems then they are on the intake valves. This would mean the installed height could be too short. It is possible the exhaust springs are stacking. To also break a rocker arm means something is defineatly binding! Find the bind and you will fix the problem. I also think the stock pushrods are fine for your application if you are using a single spring with a dampner inside of them.

How could I change the install height? I think I got screwed. These springs are like 3 in one. they have a lot of tension. I don't really know what to do, how can I tell if they are stacking? I didn't like the way the springs went on in the first place, this speed shop ordered them to match the cam, but I think somethings wrong. obviously i have 16 pushrods that look like "s"s. All this work for nothing.

If you have two springs and a flat wound dampner inside the outer spring. You have a dual spring assembly with a dampner. This means that you'll have to pull the heads and send them to a machine shop. They will have to cut the valvespring pockets on the heads to use these springs. The springs have an installed height spec to set them up properly. The machine shop can set them up for you. You can't just put on springs with out checking the heights. You may need .050 offset keys to adjust the ex spring height after the machining is done to the pockets. You must also check the valvespring retainer to seal clearance also. Have them check for bent valves also as a precaution.

stop buy harden pushed rods they dont say that so they can make a 5 dollar profit its because you need them as we know all metals are not made the same so get the ones that belong go from there

Im with retro on this one. Youve got something binding. What is the part number of teh springs that you bought?

Doesnt need hardened pushrods either. They are to be used with guideplates so that they do not wear out.

TIMMY2734 said:
Im with retro on this one. Youve got something binding. What is the part number of teh springs that you bought?

Doesnt need hardened pushrods either. They are to be used with guideplates so that they do not wear out.

Triple valve springs that don't need hardened pushrods? Never heard of that one. :rolleyes: But I think you're right about the binding as well.....but even if they were the right height, they would still need the hardened pushrods.