Help, Car just stalled

toppdogg_1

Founding Member
Nov 27, 2001
Help, Car stalled and won't start

Sorry for the long post i tried to make it as detailed as I could

This is the 2nd time it happened to me and now it won't even crank over. Tuesday my car sputtered a bit when going from a complete stop and about 3 blocks later when i stopped at a red light (thankfully off a residential street) when light turned green I tried to go and car just stalled. I pushed it off to side and tried to restart it and nothing. It would crank properly for a few seconds and then stop kinda of like a dead battery (battery should be fine, its about a year old with no leaks or anything and the voltage is fine)

Well after sitting there for an hour trying to crank it over every once and a while it finally started up but the moment i put it in first gear and tried to go stalled out again, cranked it over and it started up again first time and i just decided to let it idle for a while longer to see if any help, pretty rough idle but next time i went i put a bit more gas while in first and it went without a prob. Took it directly to mechanic who did a Scan, checked fuel pressure and whatever else he could do. There were no codes stores, fuel pressure was normal but when I was leaving i noticed that at about 3.5k-4k RPM the car would stalled out there powerwise it would not go past it and exhaust would pop.

Yesterday, got gas, started going to a friends house, i felt it kinda buck/stall out on the way there and immediatly I was like :bang: Stopped at a T-Stop started to take a left, bang, car stalled. I pushed it off to side of road again tried to start and nothing and it didn't start again after that. It will crank over a few times and then stop, sometimes will crank only once, maybe not even at all, sometimes it can crank for a while. It sounds like it's cranking and then something just grabs it and stops. I can hear the fuel pump priming everytime but i'm guessing it's dying not sure though. :( any help?

I don't think it's any of the grounds, i check them often (though it could be the engine block ground which is hard to check at times)

Car is a 5.0 Cobra 5speed, stock for most part (just small things like filter, performance distributor livewire kit, MSD Dizzy (stock one's pip went out), fuel filter was changed about 8k ago

Edit: just remembered never put in the performance dist Dyna Mod, just slipped my mind and then my mom misplaced it. Could the stock one be shot?

• Sponsors (?)

I almost wonder if you have two issues, or one issue exacerbating another.

The stalling and not catching while cranking is one issue - and not cranking or limited cranking before it just totally craps itself is another.

A high RPM miss (like hitting a rev limiter) at about 4K RPM is text book TFI module. They heat up and crap out. Then they cool off and work again till they heat back up. A bad coil can act VERY much the same way however.

When it wont start (but does crank) checking the ground pulse to the neg side of the coil will tell you if you are getting a signal to that point. Checkin for spark at the plug wires tells you if the coil is firing.

If no signal to the neg side of the coil, look at the TFI and further backwards. If you have the signal to the coil but no spark, think coil.

Because it cranks later, it doesnt sound like a mechanical locking issue that makes the car not start (act like a dead battery). A flat spot on a starter can.

If you have a booster pack or jumper battery, connecting it to see if it will start can be telling. If so, look at the battery and the battery connections. If that doesnt help, think cables and other issues. Jumper cables can be used for quick troubleshooting - run one in parallel with an OEM cable and if the car cranks when it wouldnt before, you likely found an bad cable.

Good luck.

Just a question, when you go to turn it over, do you hear it cranking at all? One time with my car i had a problem with my kill switch malfunctioning since some wires were loose and it would stall kind of like what you were talking about.

HISSIN50 said:
I almost wonder if you have two issues, or one issue exacerbating another.

The stalling and not catching while cranking is one issue - and not cranking or limited cranking before it just totally craps itself is another.

A high RPM miss (like hitting a rev limiter) at about 4K RPM is text book TFI module. They heat up and crap out. Then they cool off and work again till they heat back up. A bad coil can act VERY much the same way however.

When it wont start (but does crank) checking the ground pulse to the neg side of the coil will tell you if you are getting a signal to that point. Checkin for spark at the plug wires tells you if the coil is firing.

If no signal to the neg side of the coil, look at the TFI and further backwards. If you have the signal to the coil but no spark, think coil.

Because it cranks later, it doesnt sound like a mechanical locking issue that makes the car not start (act like a dead battery). A flat spot on a starter can.

If you have a booster pack or jumper battery, connecting it to see if it will start can be telling. If so, look at the battery and the battery connections. If that doesnt help, think cables and other issues. Jumper cables can be used for quick troubleshooting - run one in parallel with an OEM cable and if the car cranks when it wouldnt before, you likely found an bad cable.

Good luck.

What he said but he forgot about the pickup coil in the dizzy they will give you the same problem since the TFI module the ignition coil and the pickup coil all work together

fordtech28 said:
What he said but he forgot about the pickup coil in the dizzy they will give you the same problem since the TFI module the ignition coil and the pickup coil all work together
I chose to omit this because he replaced the dizzy.

If desiring to include the PIP in testing: checking for injector pulsing after noting a no-spark condition will reveal if it is ignition or PIP related (the PIP relays base fuel injector timing. No PIP - no spark or injector pulsing).

fordtech28 said:

Dizzy is about 8 months old, the previous one's PIP went out :bang: really hope the new one's not shot even though when it happened first time mechanic scanned for codes and nothing about the PIP was in there like there was the first time the PIP went out

So the problem ended up being that the Screamin' Demon Coil went out and it's only about 8 months old. :notnice: The coil would move around a bit in the housing so it prob caused something inside to mess up and when we disconnected the wire from it to the dizzy it would spark from the metal base around the coil (that get's bolted down) and the car would start. :bang:

It sounds like mine did when the pip went out.
i just did the pip in mine just becareful and not be a retard and not get the car to start back when trying to put the dizzy back in and do it completely wrong.