Help Car Wont Start

• Sponsors (?)

Does the engine turn over or is there nothing when you turn the key. I just got done with the same thing with my car. I would turn the key and nothing, first it was a sensor, then it was loose wiring. If it turns over and doesnt fire, im guessing its a problem with the MSD ignition, double check your connections. If it doesnt crank check to see if the starter works by jumping the starter selenoid. If it cranks than its something in the ignition, if it doesnt crank its your battery or your starter or one of the wires in between. Check your battery to make sure it has enough voltage, then check all your wiring.

Ryan91Saleen said:
the engine will turn but it wont fire the relay thing thats by the battery has power and all my msd stuff is hooked up i put the msd + wire to the relay. QUOTE]
if the motor turns over at all (just turns, not necessarily start), this "relay thing," aka, starter solenoid, has to be working. the only time the solenoid can realistically be thought at fault, is if nothing happens when trying to start, and other systems and tests reveal the solenoid to be at fault.

i would recheck your ignition box wiring, and as someone (Chetly?) suggested, there are fusable links for the ignition and you should have done something for the fan (links, and/or a fuse), etc.
good luck.

ive hooked the fans back up and they still dont work they were hooked to the maf and the fuse link was blown so i replaced it and they still dont work wtf? and i looked at my msd instructions and every thing is hooked up right and all the fuses are good?

Did you check for spark? Pull a plug wire off and put a spark plug in it. Then have somebody crank over the engine while you watch the plug tip to see if there's spark. If not, the most commone cause of this seems to be the TFI module (the thing bolted to the front of the distributor). You need a special TFI removal tool that any parts place will have if it the TFI turns out to be your problem.

NKau said:
Did you check for spark? Pull a plug wire off and put a spark plug in it. Then have somebody crank over the engine while you watch the plug tip to see if there's spark. If not, the most commone cause of this seems to be the TFI module (the thing bolted to the front of the distributor). You need a special TFI removal tool that any parts place will have if it the TFI turns out to be your problem.

how much does a tfi thingy cost?

$40-$60 if I remember right. Very common for these to cause loss of spark. Lots of people carry spares in there glovebox because they're one of the few parts on the car that are apt to leave you stranded.

Ryan91Saleen said:
also is that why my flex fans dont work they always come on with the key and not they dont.. the fuse link looks a brown and crusty like it got burnt. i put new wire in and they still dont work could the fans be blown?
im not sure that anyone can help you much, as we dont know exactly how you wired your fans in. are you saying you used the maf as a trigger for the relay for the fans? ah, i would not have done that. if not, my bad, i just dont get it.
you should be able check the terminals on the fan relay(s). see if you have what you need where you need it. if not, fix it. and if it all checks out, jump the lugs on the relay(s) to test the relay (or pop another relay in). they can go out, esp if something overloaded. the coils wont energize (SPDT relays).

checking this out should be simple. jrichker is right about the spark testing. if i remember correctly, your car pooped out after messing with the msd box. i think it would be quite a coincidence to lose the TFI the next day. esp since they, like fuel pumps, often like to die when it is real hot out and they get hot.
i would bet this is all related, and you need to check and recheck everything, esp grounds (any left off, or showing too much resistance?). i would probe and test all wires on the box again. if something is not right, go backward. check all links and wiring again going away from the box. if stuff overloaded, it may have properly blown something way upstream (as it should). this could explain how you lost the fans and ignition. i just cant say more without knowing how you wired stuff up.

if everything checks out, were it me, i would then assume it is something new like the TFI (something i recommend oe or good aftermarket for; people have war stories about parts store varieties failing after a short time). i would look up Jrichker's "no start checklist" and start going down it.

good luck, Ryan.

Ryan, what set up are you running? when you did the test, did you hook fan motor directly to the battery or some part of the relay wiring, etc? do you run 12+ through the relay (or ground). normally its the former. if your fans are fried, dont read on, as it is useless til you get new fans. if you can get the fan(s) to test ok, read on.

it sounds like two fans. how are they wired (one relay, two; relays in series, etc). i assume for relays you have good ground, battery power, the 12+ trigger wire (from switch), and 12+ output. check the terminals at the relay. one terminal will be ground (on a normal SPDT relay, its 85 or 86). the other terminal will be the opposite (85 and 86 need to be opposite). i assume you use the relay to send 12+ (not ground) to the fans. when power and ground are present in 85 and 86, you should see power at 30 and 87 (or ground at both if you send ground through the relay). just check for power or ground for your application at terminal 87.