Help finding this wire

ram360

Founding Member
Oct 19, 2002
Pennsylvania
I'm hooking up a car alarm to my 94gt. I need to find the wire that is for the trunk pin-(the pin goes to ground when the trunk is open) so it's a negative trigger for my alarm. Anybody know what the color is? I don't even know if I have a trunk pin, I don't have a trunk light? I found the black/pink wire is for the trunk trigger but it is a + trigger (from what I've read) and I need a - trigger. Anybody know if the black/pink is indeed the right wire to use or some other. I have no clue.

• Sponsors (?)

I'd just use a relay to convert the negative-polarity trunk-output (from your alarm) to the positive needed to pop your trunk.

An example of how to wire a SPDT or SPST relay:

30 and 86: fused battery power.

85: the alarm's negative alarm output for the trunk.

87: connect this to the output side of the factory trunk switch (the wire that gets power when the trunk button is pushed).

What will happen is that when 85 gets momentary ground from the alarm brain, 30 and 87 connect, sending battery power to your trunk popper.

thanks hissin, it already has another wire coming from the alarm that taps into purple/yellow wire from the trunk popper button (glove box). I'd rather just find a negative trigger if at all possible, but I really don't see a wire that goes to ground when the trunk opens (negative trigger) I looked in my haynes manual schematic. If not will that relay idea still work w/ the alarm tapped into the purple/yellow?

Assuming no factory keyless or alarm (for simplicity), there is no negative trigger.

Most alarm trunk popper circuits will have a 200-500 mA negative output, which is only enough to energize a relay, not act as a power ground for the popper. Said another way, you need the relay anyways.

Wiring up the relay will take 5 mins.