Help! How to remove distributor drive gear?

5.0 Fiend

Mar 23, 2004
I am going to put the 88 dist drive gear on my 84 vaccum advance dist, just so that I know the dist will work with the 88 roller cam. I can get the pin out, but I cant remove the gear is it threaded on? Pressed on? How do I go about removing it?

• Sponsors (?)

Remeber those two gears are made of different metals. My gear was pressed and had a roll pin thru it. The pin was not directly straight across the shaft of the distrubitor, it was at a slight angle. The FMS replacement gear is pressed and roll pinned also.

The pin goes straight through. It looks like the gear might be threaded on (84 dist., havent pulled the 88 dist out yet), I need to know how to remove the gears. Certain tools? Certain methods?

You need to tap the pin out and then use a puller to remove the gear. Just be patient and don't marr the shaft or mushroom the end of the shaft.

Use a large socket to tap it back on. Make sure you line up the hole on the gear and shaft before tapping it back on.

I tried removing the gear with a 2 jaw puller and couldn't budge it, it wanted to mushroom the end of the shaft. To get it off I had to use a bearing splitter like this:
http://jcsonlinetoolshed.com/product.php/10346/962//7cf918f3a1b27d5838e03ae753395062

and an arbor press. I did this on a couple of dizzys and they all came off hard.

Getting the gear back on in the right place is the trick. The hole has to be lined up just about perfect to get the pin in. When I tried to put the gear on with a socket and hammer it would rotate and the holes would not line up for the pin. It is easy to gall the shaft up by pressing the gear on and off many times trying to get the holes lines up.

Has anybody done this successfully? Did you live with the holes for the pin not lined up perfectly or is there a trick that I'm not aware of? Cardone rebuilt dizzys have another hole drilled through the gear and shaft for the pin which solves the alignment problem. Am I missing something else?

Sounds like a lot of tools that I dont have the money for right now. What kind of auto store should I take it to? (this way if they screw something up, I wont have to dish out more money).

Mustang Mikey said:
I tried removing the gear with a 2 jaw puller and couldn't budge it, it wanted to mushroom the end of the shaft. To get it off I had to use a bearing splitter like this:
http://jcsonlinetoolshed.com/product.php/10346/962//7cf918f3a1b27d5838e03ae753395062

and an arbor press. I did this on a couple of dizzys and they all came off hard.

Getting the gear back on in the right place is the trick. The hole has to be lined up just about perfect to get the pin in. When I tried to put the gear on with a socket and hammer it would rotate and the holes would not line up for the pin. It is easy to gall the shaft up by pressing the gear on and off many times trying to get the holes lines up.

Has anybody done this successfully? Did you live with the holes for the pin not lined up perfectly or is there a trick that I'm not aware of? Cardone rebuilt dizzys have another hole drilled through the gear and shaft for the pin which solves the alignment problem. Am I missing something else?

The man has spoken! :)

5.0 Fiend, if you dont want to tackle it (dont think i would either), i would take it to a machine shop. alternatively, you can get a new dizzy with new guts.

good luck - let us know what you decide and how it goes.