Help I keep burning up ignition control modules!!!!!!

voodoo

Founding Member
Feb 16, 2001
Pensacola, Fl
Hey guys, I have a 94 GT. I recently had to change my distributor. I put the distrubutor in and then pulled the number one plug and the thing fired right up. Later that day the I was sitting in the driveway and the car just died on me. It wouldn't start up. Around ten minutes later it fired right up and then instantly died. I have changed out the coil and that didn't help it. I thought maybe my MSD 6al was acting up so I put everything back to stock. I pulled the ignition control module and had it tested at my work, and it tested bad 4 times once it warmed up. So i replaced that. The car has burned up 2 brand new ignition control modules since then. When the car dies sometimes I have to wait 10 minutes sometime 3 hours before it will start again. Anyone ran into this problem before Please help!!!:bang: :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

RIO5.0 said:
That would suck !!!! I thought they come with a small tube of dielectric grease??
Seems to me that they should. If omitted or too much is used, that can cause issues.

I prefer heat-sink grease anyhow.

I had to ask - I get parts all the time that are missing stuff. :bang:

i used the brand from autozone. Wells it comes with a lifetime warranty and I have went through 3 new ones. Luckily I work at AutoZone. I have been putting the little tube of heat sink grease on the back of the module. There is a small tube in each box. I even swapped out another distributor since it was under warranty.

If this doesn't fix the problem I don't know what else to do.

Are you getting any codes? I would have to pull a meter out and start probing terminals to see if there is a short. But if there was, I would expect it to kill the module, not give the typical symptoms of a bad module (where it comes back to life once it cools).