help me decide which to build

maxine1970

Mar 16, 2004
louisville KY
I have an 86 GT convertible, nice car, I am not wanting to make a racer out of it, but I would like it to be a whole lot more powerful than it is now. I swear its the slowest GT I've ever been in. It has 3.27 posi 8.8, and I put a tremec TKO in it last march, brand new. It ahs been converted to mass air, and has equal length MAC shorties on it. Other than that, totally stock 125,000 mile car.
I want to start buying things to build a motor for it to drop in later this year. I have two engines sitting in my garage, and I cant decide which to put in it due to several factors.
First, I have a complete 1996 gt-40 (not gt40p) headed explorer engine I bought out of the junkyard. I took the heads off and had them inspected by the machine shop and theyre fine. These heads will be on whichever engine I choose to build.
Second, I have a complete 1975 351 windsor 2bbl engine in need of a rebuild, and I have an original shelby/buddy bar aluminum 4bbl intake for it. This would get the gt40s if I choose this engine.
Now, assuming both motors are built using about 9.5:1 absolute compression and a cam in the 220 duration, 500 lift range.....how would a flat tappeted and carbed 351 compare in performance in this car to a 302 injected roller engined explorer-intaked engine?
I instinctively want to do the 351, but am concerned with the extra stuff I'd have to get just to put it in, like flywheel/oil pan/headers/pulley spacers/etc. And I know the flat tappeted cam will cost me some power. I am not considering the conversion kit either, I'd give up the few ponies to save that money. Also, modding the injected 302 will likely pose problems I am not comfortable with.
But, the 302 is straight-forward and requires no other parts. Just pull mine out and put another in right away. Will the 302 perform comparably to the 351 given the compression/cam I mentioned? Also, I am seriously considering going to a carb no matter which engine I choose. I just built a 5.0 4x4 ranger and put a roller engine in it with a holley carb, and it starts easier, runs smoother, and doesnt give me this annoying idle up and down problem that totally pisses me off every time I drive it.
So, what would you guys recommend? A 302 carbed gt40 engine, a 302 injected gt40 engine, or a 351 carbed gt40 engine?
THanks!

Doug

• Sponsors (?)

IMO you are wasting your time.

Why bother with 203 vs 351. Why not debate 347 vs 408. With a nice street cam either of these would have gobs of torque and hp and be a very nice street car without being a PITA to drive.
You can use those same GT40 heads, just port them.

The 347 advantage is that you can use all of your existing brakets. The 408 has the torque and hp advantage, but you have to make some changes.