Help me ID parts on my new 5.0 engine (I'm swapping into a '67)

95CobraStang

Jan 21, 2004
Chico, CA
Hey Guys,

I have a '67 that I'm restoring. I am basically running a late model (87-93) engine and fuel injection/computer system, so this is probably the best place for help. I have a DSS 306 with AFR185s, forged rods & pistons, GT40 lower that will hook up to my Kenne Bell 2.2 w/ flowzilla inlet...compression at 8.4...75mm throttle body, 80mm mass air, 42lbs injectors, aeromotive fuel system and more...

I'm probably going to drop in and hook up the engine myself, but I have much to learn on the way. Can you tell me what the following are??

1.?
2.?
3.?
4.?
5.?

Also, where do I make the connections for vacuum?? Ill need to hook up a brake booster, FPR, and more. Will it be on the upper intake?

engback.JPG

engfront.JPG

engside.JPG

Attachments

• engback.JPG
    engback.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 104
  • engfront.JPG
    engfront.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 98
  • engside.JPG
    engside.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 103
  • Sponsors (?)

1-EGR?
2-Dont think anybody knows...
3-Threaded hole for coolant temp sensor
4-Same as #3
5-Dipstick hole? maybe Accessory mounting spot
If #1 is threaded, and is connected to an intake runner, that would be a good place for a vacuum source
BTW the motor looks AWESOME!

~Mark~

Hello,

#1 PCV valve (crankcase ventilation)
#2 blocked hole (no thread) not needed
#3 heater hose connection (double metal tube)
#4 water temp. sensor
#5 blocked hole (with thread) not needed

pictures:
#1 http://212.227.100.192/mustang/pcv.jpg
#1 http://212.227.100.192/mustang/pvc1.jpg
( you need only the right one and a rubber grommet)
#3 http://212.227.100.192/mustang/heaterhose.jpg
(look at the double black tube in front of the picture, from junkyard))
#4 http://212.227.100.192/mustang/tempsensor.jpg

Markus

Missing in action is the ACT (Air Charge Temperature) Sensor that normally goes in a hole tapped into #5 intake runner. Some manifolds have a boss cast into #5 runner, but it isn't drilled & tapped. With a Kenne Bell 2.2 w/ flowzilla, you will see more heating of the intake air charge than stock.

You need to find a place to mount the ACT sensor after the blower so that you get accurate air temp readings. Fail to do this and you could have severe tuning problems because the computer doesn't know what the real air temp is. This would blind the computer from choosing the correct air/fuel ratio & spark advance.

Here's a book that will get you started with how the Ford electronic engine control or "computer" works.

Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control 1988-1993 by Charles Probst :ISBN 0-8376-0301-3.

It's about $25 from Borders.com see http://www.amazon.com/ . Select boo...very good, and I found it to be very helpful.

Hello,

the ACT sensor sit normaly here (see 1. picture)
In your case it sit possibly here (see 2. picture)

Markus

Attachments

• temp1.jpg
    temp1.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 119
  • temp2.jpg
    temp2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 139
Markus pointed out a hole that you didn't ask about.
That may be intended for the ACT?

I thought hole #2 should be a knock sensor.
The Mustang didn't use the knock sensor, so you can just cap it off.
The hole should just be threaded and drilled to a blind depth.

jason

Markus pointed out a hole that you didn't ask about.
That may be intended for the ACT?

I thought hole #2 should be a knock sensor.
The Mustang didn't use the knock sensor, so you can just cap it off.
The hole should just be threaded and drilled to a blind depth.

jason

Good find on the ACT Markus... i forgot to ask about that one...

thanks for all the help! With my lack of knowledge, would you guys recommend that I find a good book to read up on, or just an expert? I'm definitely mechanically inclines, just time-constricted (i need more than 24 hrs in my day!)

With a Kenne Bell 2.2 w/ flowzilla, you will see more heating of the intake air charge than stock.

You need to find a place to mount the ACT sensor after the blower so that you get accurate air temp readings. Fail to do this and you could have severe tuning problems because the computer doesn't know what the real air temp is. This would blind the computer from choosing the correct air/fuel ratio & spark advance.

QUOTE]

So then with the spot pointed out by Markus and others, i should be fine...right???

Also, I'm getting slightly different opinions on #3. Here's my thought: it is solely for coolant temp to the computer...no heater hose. My water pump has two connections for the heater hose. Does that sound right?

That hole that Markus found should work well for the ACT.

My only concern would be how much room there is in that area.
You will have heater lines, TB linkage, and fuel lines all in the same area.
If it was a problem then I doubt the hole would have been drilled there, but watch clearances in there when you start adding parts in...

jason

That hole that Markus found should work well for the ACT.

My only concern would be how much room there is in that area.
You will have heater lines, TB linkage, and fuel lines all in the same area.
If it was a problem then I doubt the hole would have been drilled there, but watch clearances in there when you start adding parts in...

jason

Ok, I'll watch for that. I think I can just run the heater hoses away as necessary b/c (i think) they both come off of the water pump