Help me with Meguaires new NXT Wax

Paul1944

Feb 22, 2004
I have a red 2003 Mustang GT Convertible with a white top. I'm going to drive it in the Mustangs Across America drive in April and I want it to look its best. I bought the Meguiars NXT wax but I'm not sure what kind of cleaner/polish to use first. I bought the car new in the late fall of 2003 and it has been sitting in my garage all winter. I believe the only wax it has on it is a spray on that the dealer used just to shine it up before I took delivery. I've heard of people using Dawn dish soap to remove wax. Is this safe for the paint? I also need a good convertible top cleaner and protectant.

• Sponsors (?)

I have no clue on the convertible top, Ive never had one.

This is basically what I would do for a good detail job, I assume by hand

Wash (1/2 dawn 1/2 car wash mixture) the dawn will remove wax, the car wash will provide lubrication

Clay (mother's brand works well)

Light polish (mother's pre-wax cleaner) this will help remove any light water spots or surface scratches.

Now you can do the NXT, one or two layers

Unless you are using Zaino DO NOT USE DISHWASHING LIQUID ON YOUR PAINT! Car wax is nothing like floor wax, it cannot build up and does not need to be removed. If you are going to use a cleaner whether a chemical cleaner or an abrassive cleaner that will remove any old wax from the paint. Actually NXT Tech Wax does have some slight chemical cleaning action to it. If you don't have any swirls or scratches you need to remove than I would just wash/dry, clay and then apply NXT.

i just used a coat of Klasse followed by 2 coats of Nxt on my 4 runner and was very impressed. my surface was very smooth, no water spots or swirl marks (4 month old vehicle) so i didnt use a clay bar. it was my first experience with both of these waxes. just my .02
btw, my previous paint protection recipe for my paint on my other cars
has always been #7,#9,#26 and have always been happy with the results.
I did note that the nxt wax likes to be used in very thin coats, small areas and "rubbed in". there was no white residue and was suprisingly easy to work with, easier than #26, not that #26 was hard, just trying to make a comparison. hope this helps

Thanks for the help. Looked at the pictures of Bobs' 2001 Laser Red Gt Coupe and was very impressed. I had a 2001 Gt Convertible Laser Red and traded it for the 2003 Gt Convertible and they call the color Redfire. I have a fiberglass tonneau cover in laser red from my 2001 and I put it on the 2003 and I can't see any differance in the color. Maybe Ford just changed the colors name.