HELP! My car weighs 3620 lbs. Put it on a diet!!!

Oh yeah. I haven't commented on this yet, but it's worth saying. 6 layers of dynomat? Take it from someone who used to build competition systems professionally and was a certified Dynomat distributor: one layer is all you need. The roll of Dynomat we sold was enough to do a whole car in every critical place, and it weighed less than 10lbs. Your car wouldn't even know it was there. Somebody wasted some serious money in your trunk; don't tell anyone who knows car audio you have 6 layers in there or they will piss themselves laughing at you. Get it out- and find out how much more is slathered around the rest of the car. A little goes a long way. While their product line has expanded over the years, the original Dynomat wasn't intended to keep out road noise, stop rattling or anything like that- it is designed to multiply amplifier power by keeping the audio sound where it belonged making the system more efficient. While some people have found a piece behind the license plate stops it from rattling, putting anything back there to keep it from moving would work just as well and folks have come to view it as a big expensive bandaid for getting rid of unwanted noises. That isn't what it's for.

• Sponsors (?)

It's not Dynomat tar, it's layers of carpet padding under the rug in the hatch. I am gonna pull that, my spare, and whatever else I find in a few hours. Also, if I pull the smog pump, do I need to block off any hoses or lines, or just disconnect them from the pump and yank the pump?

You need to block them off; the air pump connects to the exhaust stream at the heads and, in some cars, at the converter. If you don't block the connections off, you can exhaust exiting the system in places you don't want to have exhaust exiting the system.

yeah, yank the pump, an then the sort piece of hose...above the header there is a bell looking thing, most people who dont completely remove the system cap it off there.

Did u even have the long metal tube attaching the pump and exhaust hooked up???

I've heard that if you still have cats that it's a bad idea to take out the smog pump because the cats will get clogged. Any truth to this? Doesn't make much sense to me. I'll probably end up taking the pump off after my spring inspection anyway. :)

91LX302 said:
I've heard that if you still have cats that it's a bad idea to take out the smog pump because the cats will get clogged. Any truth to this? Doesn't make much sense to me. I'll probably end up taking the pump off after my spring inspection anyway. :)

The air pump adds O2 so the unburnt fuels can burn when they go with through the cats, without O2 how can you burn something? It also helps to cool them a little.

I pulled some stuff out today. Under the multiple layers of carpet matting, there was some rubberized coating inside my hatch. I pulled the mats, and scraped up as much of the rubber as possible. I left my spare and jack in, as I'm convinced that once I remove it, I'll get stuck with a flat.

everyone has that raggedy old multi colored crap under the carpet and that "rubberized cork" stuff is the sound deadener. i dont think anything was added there because if there was more carpet isulation added your carpet would be up like 4 inches and be all bumpy...i dunno, im still voting scale :shrug: