help picking car to go to school in

• Sponsors (?)

a Grand Cherokee is a POS compared to a honda for reliability, but I'd sure take one anyway! They are very comfortable...moreso than a civic...and much more versatile for moving things and parking at parties on peoples lawns...

get the cherokee, ditch the v8 though get the inline 6, much better on gas, sis has one and gets insane mpg.

grand cherokee or normal cherokee? i thought of a 4.0 in a grand but i didnt htink it could pull its own weight.. which leads to the same mpg.

How bout a Mercury Marauder (one of my dream cars)
not many of them made and they are hott.

heres one
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003...oryZ6882QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Born sleeper! screw the SUV, this has all the room and tons of power. Throw in a police supercharger and you will fly.

i thought of one of those, but there arent really any for under 10 k. do they get okay mileage/. i thought of getting a white crown vic so people would get out of my way.

How about a ranger? I have one with a 3.0 flex fuel V6. it gets about 22-24mpg on the highway. It doesn't hurt my wallet too bad even though I drive about 100 miles per day.

i thought about those too. i guess ill look into them. i just dont think id ever use the bed of it....

I had a 94 grand cherokee, which is older than what you were considering, I understand. Mine was a 5.2L v8 w/ all-time four wheel drive. The gas mileage sucked...about 13mpg average. Probably around 15-16 highway and 11-12 city. It had the same gas mileage as my 98 silverado w/ a 350 and 285/75 tires and the truck also weighs 1600 lbs more.

Either way, a grand cherokee w/ selectrac so you could put it in 2wd and a v6 might be better. My Jeep was a pain in the butt to work on w/ the small engine bay w/ the v8. I loved to drive my Jeep and rode around in it all day for about 9 months going a few hundred miles and tons of stop and go (door-to-door sales) and it's not totally bad for 4 people, but more than 4 and it's not the best (sitting bitch in the back sucks).

You might use a truck more than you think if you actually had one. I love mine. A v6 silverado 2wd or v6 f150 2wd might not be horrible on gas. Or as suggested, maybe a ranger. You can get a decent vehicle for 10g's if you have cash and don't mind talking them down a bit.

What do you think about a 2000-2004 taurus? My mom has an 03. It's a very peppy v6, rides very well, and I think she was getting around 30mpg on the highway. I can ask her later if you want. Oh...and her trunk is absolutely huge!

i've had a lot of beaters and DD's and hondas/acuras are some of the most reliables cars available,get a little integra its cheap,good on gas and has some pep so its not so boring and if you ever want to sell it they hold value extremely well,actually all hondas do for that matter.right now i have a volvo and it has to be the most reliable thing ever,it takes anything you throw at it and still comes back for more.volvo or honda-my opinion.

i have a 92 cherokee.. i previously had an 89 cherokee.. i sold it at 230k miles and it ran like a top. My current one has 163k on it an runs like a top.. both 4.0 straight 6. Best motors in a jeep hands down. The V8's in the grand cherokees had major tranny problems.. from the begining to 2004.. don't know much about the newer hemi grand cherokees. As far as gas mileage.. my cherokee gets like 19mpg on the highway which is most of my driving.. around down i see like 16-17.. just an FYI for you.. and its only a cherokee not a grand.

5speedsteeder: get a nice 99 or up grand cherokee, with the 4.0 They will def. pull thier own weight, ours will do a hellacious burn on that one tire!! my sis is getting like 400mi a tank in it.

Judging gas mileage by miles per tank is irrelevant. Take into consideration that the 99 GC's had 20.5 gal tanks, which means about 20mpg average if your 400 mile per tank figure is correct. Not saying that's good or bad, just adjusting the information for comparisons sake.

Before I got the BMW I was also looking at 4 door tahoe LT's. Glad I didn't with the gas n all, close call. This thing runs smooth as can be, handles, it's quick and has all the luxuries and low miles for 6 grand. :D