help problem with my rack and pinion

bullitt77

Sep 15, 2003
france
hi there

i 've problem on my 2.3 L FOXBODY ; it's a power steering

i've discover some bit of play between the steering box and my left inner tie rod ?!

how does it work? it 's seems to have a little piston at the end , how can he be loosen ? did i will be obliged to change all my steering ? :eek: or is there somehing to do ? may be just the inner tie rod

HELP PLEASE !!

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds to me like it is the inner tie rod...

Best way to replace the inner tie rod is to turn the wheel all the way in the direction of the side you need to replace. Then loosen the boot and take it off. The inner tie rod has either a set screw or a rivet (probably a rivet) holding it in place, near where it threads onto the rack. You have to drill out this rivet, then take the inner tie rod off with a crescent wrench. Then mark where the outer tie rod is on the inner (or measure), then take it off, and reverse the process to install the new one. You'll have to take the car in to get it aligned afterward, of course.

ok thanks !!!!

you really thinks it's just the inner ?, i was afraid it would be the steering box !

can i put away the boot just to have a look at the inner tie rod to be sure it's that?

when i will change my inner , did the hydraulic go away ? if yes , would i need to bleed the circuit after ?

thans for your help RED LX :D

SUPER!!

thanks a lot for all this information and for your help

i've put away the boot and found play on the ball joint at the beginning of the inner tie rod ( where i made a red arrow on the join picture )

is ti normal that there is play here ? i don't think !

if i buy an inner tie rod is this ball joint include? i found one on rock auto
can you tell me if this is the correct part to change this loosen ball joint ?

parts #EV117 :

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php?carcode=1133097&parttype=7428

thanks a lot for your help

it 's very hard to find someone who know well fox body here in europe !!

regards

guillaume

Attachments

• EPSN0029_resize_resize_resize.jpg
    EPSN0029_resize_resize_resize.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 138
Yep, that is your problem then.

All you need is the inner tie rod, that is all one piece in there. Just make sure you take care of the rivet/set screw before you try taking the old inner tie rod off!

And yes, that part you show is the one you need, before you buy it check the other inner tie rod & both outers, as well as the ball joints, for excessive play. That way if something else needs replaced you can order them all together.

yes i check the other side : there is play too , less but thee is some

so i will change the other side too

the outer and ball joint are OK !

what do want to say by SCREW/RIVET set ? the inner is holding by a rivet as you first said , i think i will have to drill it to remove the inner

i believe that a new rivet is sold with the inner ? no?

regards

guillaume

can i abuse ? just one more question ....

on the web site they said for SPR AH , AG rack , i can only found a plate with SPR H ... do you think it 's correct ? will it fit on my car ?

as they said for the non power steering not for SPR AH , AG i think this code is for power steering no?

One more issue here, if you change racks, make sure to get on that has the same stub shaft to mate with the shaft coupler you have. Some have a flat place on the shaft, some have only a marked master spline. Both work as long as the coupler and shaft match.

Not sure about your location, but here, sometimes its easier to get a long rack, ie, a rebuilt rack with the new inner tie rod ends attached, than it is to change one inner tie rod. About $120 for the whole thing, About $30 for the one tie rod, and you still have to align the thing when your done.

thanks RD , but in france , no way to found a RACK so i will be obliged to order it in the USA , with a big price for the shipping .

so i would prefer to change the 2 inner rod

my probleme is that i don't know which inner to order ?

please can you help me?

The inners for a power rack should all be the same. Don't know if any parts stores can break it down by the codes. There are two different rack styles of power racks, generally by original manufacturer, Ford and TRW.

One has a one pc center section and one has a single piece, and the control valve section is different. I cant remember which is which. I do think the Fords have Ford cast into them. Both fit with some possible need for adapters at the hose fittings, and the stub shaft issue I described earlier. I believe the inner tie rods all fit.

However, Tbird and Cougar racks are the same too, will fit. but take longer inner tie rods. Not sure if Fairmonts take the long or short inners.

You should be safe just getting the proper Mustang inner tie rods.

thanks a lot for your information RD !!

so i think i will order the MOOG EV117 wich they write for POWER STEERING

thanks a lot to all people who help me :) i was anxious wit this problem

in french we says : " merci mille fois " you can translate by : thanks one thousand times

guillaume

in french