Help to Identify the parts of this Solenoid

monk302

Founding Member
Apr 18, 2001
New Jersey
Please help me identify the areas listed as A,B,C,D on this solenoid. I believe they are as following moving from left to right.

FROM LEFT TO RIGHT
A: Positive
B: Start Signal
C: ???
D: ???

The specific reason I am asking that is I am attempting to finalize wiring up my EFI harness. Thanks,

Mike

• Sponsors (?)

One will be start and the other ignition. Should be labled with a "S" and "I".

If you are converting to EFI, you may not need to connect the "I" terminal to anything. Will depend on your alternator setup tho..

BottleFed70 said:
One will be start and the other ignition. Should be labled with a "S" and "I".

If you are converting to EFI, you may not need to connect the "I" terminal to anything. Will depend on your alternator setup tho..

I am running a stock alternator. With the Ford Fuel Injection harness it says that the purple goes to "start" and red goes to "positive." I am correct in assuming that "B" would be start? I didn't see any S or I's.

Thanks,

Sorry, just re-read your post.

A(big connector) = Positive
B (small connector) = start signal
C (small connector) = ignition (+12V when key is turned to start AND run)
D (big connector) = Power that goes to starter when start signal received.

You are correct that B = start.

Sorry I can't help you with the alternator wiring, I switched to a single wire alternator years ago.

monk302 said:
I am running a stock alternator. With the Ford Fuel Injection harness it says that the purple goes to "start" and red goes to "positive." I am correct in assuming that "B" would be start? I didn't see any S or I's.

Thanks,

B- is the start term.
red will go to batt side A.
The efi gets it pos to coil while cranking from a differant signal wire.
which would post C be attached to with stock system.

PB

Posted by bottlefed:

A(big connector) = Positive
B (small connector) = start signal
C (small connector) = ignition (+12V when key is turned to start AND run)
D (big connector) = Power that goes to starter when start signal received.

Not so sure about C (small connector) = ignition (+12V when key is turned to start AND run)

I thought it's purpose was to output the full 12v to the coil while cranking (start position only - NOT run)

Once running, then the coil gets the 8-9v from the resistor wire to keep the points from burning up...

Tim65GT said:
Posted by bottlefed:

Not so sure about C (small connector) = ignition (+12V when key is turned to start AND run)

I thought it's purpose was to output the full 12v to the coil while cranking (start position only - NOT run)

Once running, then the coil gets the 8-9v from the resistor wire to keep the points from burning up...

I think you are correct. My mistake.