Help With Dumping Code's 98 Koer +

88droptop5.0

Mar 4, 2015
NEPA
Ok here's my situation now, I'm having a little trouble jumping the code for my computer. I don't think I'm passing the key on engine off test, I have an Actron code scanner. when I plug it in and turn on the key I get like a fuzzy flash, followed by a code number 51, 54, 22, 81 and code 85. when I do the key on engine running I get colds 98, 54, and 51. as some of you know I fried my computer and did the jumper wire solder fix. I can now property adjust my TPS to a modest .83V. I assume that's good as far as the jumper wire fix, but I need a little help dumpin these codes and getting this car to work. I just picked the car up recently, and I know it had an engine swap. possibly an explorer 5.0 non HO I'm not sure? just thought that little bit of information might be helpful. the car starts up and runs good, a little bit of a rough idle but revs out good. I know my ECT needs replacing because its not hooked up (broken connector on sensor harness connector is good) I am picking one up this evening.
Thanks,

Attachments

• 1425759689985-189679601.jpg
    1425759689985-189679601.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 273
  • Sponsors (?)

98 is a hard fault code. It pops up sometimes when one of the major sensors has an issue. Once you fix 51 and 54, the 98 will go away. Judging by the codes, it looks like you fixed the computer issue, but you still may have an issue with the SIGRTN circuit.

98 is a hard fault code. It pops up sometimes when one of the major sensors has an issue. Once you fix 51 and 54, the 98 will go away. Judging by the codes, it looks like you fixed the computer issue, but you still may have an issue with the SIGRTN circuit.
Thanks for the reply,I hope I have my computer fixed. I'm replacing the ECT sensor right now, where is the ACT sensor located?
I probably shouldn't have started another thread about dumping codes, I apologize again (newbie lol). After I replaced the sensors I will report back with the codes, but I still think I'm failing something because I don't get a code 11 with KOEO, I get a fuzzy blink..following the above codes.

ACT is located in the #5 intake runner on fox bodies and in the Air inlet tube on SN 95's
ok I have an explorer intake on this thing I think., I know the engine has been swapped and for all I know it could be an explorer 5.0. The boss under the # 5 runner is not tapped and not drill. is there any other place I could look for this thing, a certain wire or different location. The upper intake system is in pretty rough shape on this thing, I have a nice used gt40 unit upper and lower from an explorer on the way. the manifold that I'm getting has the number # 5 drilled and tapped,but I don't even know if I have the sensor on this engine, or wiring harness. lol ... or maybe not..
Thanks

If they never tapped the #5 runnter then either the ACT is either in the rear lower passenger side return bung for the EGR coolant hose (assuming that is not connected and they tapped that pad in the intake) or the ACT sensor is laying on/under the upper intake. If you look at the explorer intake on the right, notice it is not tapped for the ACT in #5 and the EGR coolant line not tapped.

DSCF0969b.jpg

Look for the plug #17 off the driver side injector harness

EFIEngineHarness.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
If both of those sensors are unplugged, then that explains the codes. Since you pulled the codes with scanner, and no TPS or EGR related codes were logged, then the computer is fixed. You'll need to fix your ECT and ACT issue before you really move forward.

Reactions: 1 user
If both of those sensors are unplugged, then that explains the codes. Since you pulled the codes with scanner, and no TPS or EGR related codes were logged, then the computer is fixed. You'll need to fix your ECT and ACT issue before you really move forward.
Makes sense, I'm replacing my ect sensor tonight.I may haft to pull my distributor to access it.
I can't find the plug or sensor for the ACT, is it possible its tucked under my upper intake I wonder?. I'm swapping intakes hopefully I'll have it Monday.
Also in not sure if this is a HO motor, is there a way to tell?. It looks like my plug wires coincide with the non HO diagram. But I may be mistaking, I just want to give all the information I can to get the problem resolved.
Pic of distributer if it helps..lol
Also 2nd pic I'm holding my ECT plug, what's the one next to it?..
Thanks.

Attachments

• 142577082953038918847.jpg
    142577082953038918847.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 235
  • 14257710391962087444104.jpg
    14257710391962087444104.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 239
  • 1425771148393951026437.jpg
    1425771148393951026437.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 234
I put a new ect sensor in and got her fired up, she idles high and revs out.I decided to take her for a little test spin,it idles and goes but it goes very poorly. running very rough and jerky, if I give her any kind of throttle she hesitates then lunges forward and cuts out. I know I still have a ATC sensor to locate,I have a feeling it's tucked under the intake with nothing in it. I guess I'll check and see what kind of codes it throws and see if I can get a 11. As of before and during my test drive I had no 11, my code scanner just gave me a fuzzy blink and the coads mentioned above. Ill report back soon with results.

I'm beginning to wonder if my computer is still messed up. it didn't run the best but it ran a whole helluva lot better than it does now after I did my boo boo.
she fires up and idles on the high side around 1k and its very rough and loppie (pardon my spelling lol ). it will rev out no problem, but if I hold it steady at any given point it's very rough and choppy (loppie) at idle, reving and driving under load...

What are the codes now?
That being said, until you fix the ACT issue, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions.
Same as before, my big concern is the no code 11 in Key on engine off mode. Its just a fuzzy tone and a distorted/fuzzy light with my scan tool. Then it goes into the codes I mentioned above.
I am waiting to repair the ATC before I do anything else.its just weird that before I had the mishap the car ran decent, now its really bad...lol so just in case I do need a computer I want to be prepared, would a 87/88 5 speed work? I posted a pic of my computer for reference above...
Thanks for all your help and patients. I really appreciate it.

Yes it works on the ACT as well.

Typically, if the computer was still messed up, you would have more codes than what you do. So as of right now, I wouldn't worry about that.
Ok, thanks. I will test them tomorrow. On a side note, I was poking around looking for the atc harness. I think I found it tucked way under my upper manifold. Looks like no senser plugged into it. If I get a sensor and plug it in, can I lay it on my manifold till my new tapped lower and upper comes in?