Help with electric fan operation

Mustang Yawie

Founding Member
Jul 21, 2002
Rialto CA
Hey guys i need some help with a proform fan, i installed it but the temperature probe is not getting hot enough to turn it on, if i heat it manually it turns on ok. What would be the best place for the probe. I noticed that the probe is kinda short so im limited to where i can install it. also where would the best place to install the positive low power source. Please help its my daily driver and im stuck with no fan for now. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

what kind of probe is it? an external one (that inserts through the fins)?

put it as close to the upper hose as you can.

any key-on-hot wire under the hood should work for your relay coil positive wire.

good luck.

Nitto, thanks for the clarification - im not familiar with the particular unit. i know with some adjustable units, people have to dial the rheostat down to far below their target temp, to get it to work.

i know of one guy who ran the probe into a rad hose (piggybacked the hose as it entered the connection). not sure i would do that.

if all else fails, www.DcControl.com
will do nicely. :)

Well, we installed the fan on his car today. We installed the prob as close to the upper rad hose as we could. ONly thing was that the first time we put the probe on top of the top radiator row, not between two rows. The fan was set at the min 180 but did not come on even as the car reached 210. We heated up the probe with a lil wire melter thingy and the fan came on.

My first thought was that maybe it needed to be between two rows to get heated right. But we quit for the nite as it was gettin late. Teh instructions dont say where to stab the probe so we posted this here. The wire that attaches to the probe isnt very long (6-8 inches) so the range to stab is very limited.

With my DCControl and mark 8 fan Baskin told me to mount the probe near the lower rad hose, but since his wire will not even come close to reaching that we're stumped.

My guess would be to mount the probe as close to the top (inlet) hose as possible and make sure the probe is fully enclosed. Then adjust so the fan goes on at whatever water temp you have decided on using an independent accurate gauge. If it wont adjust to go on at that temp you need to call whoever sold U that unit as it may be defective!