Help with Exhaust Fumes!

Tampa04GT

Mar 17, 2004
Help!!! cant take it anymore!!!....

I recently had a MRT Off Road H-pipe installed with flows at Midas Muffler shop ... and now when im driving the fumes are sooo bad I can barely breath. I had to pull over today becuase my eyes were burning so bad and my nose.

Is it posible that there is a leak between my headers and the h pipe?? if so what would it sound like?

How could so much exhaust be coming from the tail pipes into my windows when driving and siting still at a light.

anyone else have this prob with this exhaust set up??

Thanks for any inputs

Dave :-(

• Sponsors (?)

I too have a off road pipe, and no it should be in no way be that bad. You should be able to definately smell it with the windows down at a standstill but other than that you shouldn't smell it all that much. Proably have a leak where the pipe connects to your headers.

weird... yeah when im im taking off i heard kind of a poping sound under the car especialy if im near a wall or on a bridge... must be a leak... should I just tighten down the bolts more or is there a gasket that I can use?

thanks fot the inputs

do you have headers or manifolds? I had issues with the drivers side connection to my manifold. the real cure is removing the factory studs. if you search you can find a nappa stud part # on this site. that would be my guess unless there are lose bolts somewhere.

It ain't gonna kill you unless you got a huge leak right into your car and the windows are up and you are sleeping.lol But it is not ideal to breath and you have a definate problem. Take it in, a shop will tell you for sure and where. You might get the odd wiff at stops and wind direction etc but in your case no way is it normal.

My problem was the evap purge system. Whenever you fill you car up at a gas station and you try to squeeze that extra 50 cents in what is happening is that the extra gas is overflowing into the evap canister and it is putting a lot of extra vapors in to your motor. one of the symptoms is a strong amount of exaust gasses. this is what happened to me. I am not sure that is your problem but it could be a possibility.

Get this guys.... I took your advice to get it fixed right away and brought the stang back to midas and demanded a refund and them to fix my car the right way i threatened him that he installed illegal parts on my car and that I would take any action I needed against him unless he fixed my Sh** with some quickness.. that got him moving.

So it gets better... come to find out they never even hooked up the driver side h-pipe to the header.

I HAVE BEEN DRIVING WITH AN OPEN HEADER!!!

WTF!!! is that place insane or what.. I stood under the car with them this time..one guy tried to get me to wait outside i was like F*** Off..

So its all good sounds better my nose sisnt burning from fumes and my eyes red everytime i drive. and i have my HP back and it dosnt stall in 1st anymore...

Moral of the story... do some research of a known speed shop in the area that is reliable before u have morons work on your car.

Thanks for all the inputs you guys rock!

Dave
Black 04 GT

WTF and they charge what $60 an hour? that
is inexcusable to me they are supposed to be Qualified
mechanics no? What if that was your lug nuts or tie rod
or one of the many critical components of your car. You
should have been refunded some labor fees or something.
Glad it is all good, and thank heaven the monoxide did
not kill you before you fixed it.lol. So it was together just
unbolted or actually seperated from the header?
Cause it had to be at least catching some exhaust or it would be hella loud and runna like poop. no?