HELP!!!! With T-5 Top cover.

laytondavenport

Jan 16, 2006
Somebody please help. I tried to opent the top cover of my 88 T-5 to inspect the gears. Well I wasn't aware that it was connected to the shifting rod. Well now I can't get it apart to look, and I can't get the damn thing back together either. I download instructions but they instruct me to split the case and remove everything. Please tell me there is an easier way to get this 5thing back togehter.

• Sponsors (?)

What I really want is for it to go back together lol. I can get it almost lined up but its like 1/4 inch short of lining up. I'v etried about everything but it just won't go. If I take off the shifter cup do you think it will freei t up far enough to line back up with the holes?

wait, are you saying you already pulled the shifting rod out. if so, you need to get that metal tab that is on the rod under the covere and stick it straight up. then that half circle looking metal piece needs to slide through that metal loop and it will slide all the way in like that. you may need to fiddle with the loop to get it to push in. i tried for a day to get it in only because i didn't know what i was doing but i got it .

See all I did was take the bolts ou tof the top cover and then cut the silcone away and it just sort of pulled out. But its connected to the rod that connect to the shifter right. We'll I was going to say to heck with it and put it back together but now it won't go. I didn't want to take it apart apart just look inside lol.

you will need some rtv silicon but nothing will fly out. make sure you don't lose the ball bearing and spring that is under the shift cup as i call it. it rolls in the groove under the cup.

laytondavenport said:
So if I take the tailhousing off. Whats going to fly out or need replaced?

Nothing. Just 5th gear is inside there. As long as you are careful, nothing will happen. Just don't go pulling on parts.

Tailhousing needs to come off. To remove the cover, you actually need to kick it to the pass side of the tranny slightly so the lever can clear the 5-r lever. That is what is prob hanging it up. If you want to try to get it down without pulling the tailhousng, try pushing the cover as far to the pass side of the tranny first, then pushing down.

If not you need to pull the tailhousing. That's the only way to inspect. Drive the pin straight down and unbolt the housing and pull straight off. Now unbolt the cover, lift it about 1/4" and then slide it 1" to the pass side and then lift straight out. WHen you reinstall, same thing. Make sure you scrape off the old RTV and use fresh RTV. Line up the shift forks and lower the cover down offset to the pass side about 1-1.5", when about 1/4" high, slide it over and lower all the way. Make sure the slot fot eh pin on the shift rail is pointed straight up. Then it's a matter of lining up the control block with the rail and driving the pin back in.

PS, this is what you'll see when you pull the tailhousing off. Nothing will fall out. It's just 5th gear. Just make sure the little orange plastic cup on the synchro doesn't fall out. Everything else here is pretty well attached, so no worries
pic.php?u=11130S5RAi&i=540669

pic.php?u=11130S5RAi&i=540677

This is what you'll see when you pull the cover off. The lever in the middle is what is hanging up the cover
pic.php?u=11130S5RAi&i=540668

This is what you want to inspect. See all those little pointed "fingers". Those are the dog teeth and the black rings are the synchro blocker rings. You want these nice and pointed like little monopoly houses. If they are rounded over or mashed up, you'll grind up gears. The blocker rings are replaced in a rebuild but damaged dog teeth on the gears means you need to buy a new gear. Hope that helps
pic.php?u=11130S5RAi&i=540672

Attachments

• pic.php?u=11130S5RAi&i=540669
    pic.php?u=11130S5RAi&i=540669
    134.4 KB · Views: 39
  • pic.php?u=11130S5RAi&i=540677
    pic.php?u=11130S5RAi&i=540677
    120.5 KB · Views: 38
  • pic.php?u=11130S5RAi&i=540668
    pic.php?u=11130S5RAi&i=540668
    114.5 KB · Views: 40
  • pic.php?u=11130S5RAi&i=540672
    pic.php?u=11130S5RAi&i=540672
    111.9 KB · Views: 45
heh i did the same thing, wanting to look at my tranny inside, didnt realize it was connected. Ended up taking it apart 4-5 times getting it right. Started getting good at it.

But its pretty easy. Just some silicone and take it slow putting it on.

Ok took off the tailhousing. BUt cover still stuck on something. I got the instrction shifted it as far as it will go towards the drainplug side. But it will not come off. I've tried everything but beating it off with a hammer. Any Ideas????

Trans might be in gear. See if you can wiggle the shift rail around and dislodge it. It's hanging up on the 5-r shiftr lever. Maybe put the shifter block back on temp with a peice of wire and wiggle the rail around while you lift it up

you have to pull the cover up and to the right at the same time(diaganally right) if you are facing the rear of the tranny to clear the obstacles. doesn't matter if in gear or not.