HEY college students/grads

harrisonfiveo

Dec 18, 2005
Just want to know what fields yall are studying/ or graduated from and some good paying one's to go into...Im only in my first year. But i read that big thread about all the computer jobs going away because so many people have a degree. What do yall think.

• Sponsors (?)

I start going to school at Nashville Auto Diesel College next month. It is a year long course to eighther be an auto mechanic or a diesel mechanic (not sure wich yet). I figure there will always be job openings for mechanics!

gtstangau said:
I start going to school at Nashville Auto Diesel College next month. It is a year long course to eighther be an auto mechanic or a diesel mechanic (not sure wich yet). I figure there will always be job openings for mechanics!

yeah...and you guys will always be able to rip people off with high labor quotes :nice:

I got a bachelors in Information Systems. I had a job right out of college. I am a software engineer and have advanced rapidly. Theres plenty of technology jobs out there. I dont think the market is saturated at all. According to a meeting we had yesterday the two upcoming technology hotspots are Texas and North Carolina.

Engineering undergrad - then an MBA

I graduated in 2003 with a Finance degree and am in the $40-$50K range. I'm currently in the running for three positions with a posted range of $55-80K.

I would recommend some type of engineering, then go back to night school for you're MBA. That way, 20or so years from now, you can be a Sr. VP somewhere and do nothing but cash your large checks and surf stangnet all day looking for Mods for your 2025 Shelby 1800 stock HP:nice:

I'm a junior at UF right now, actually in the middle of an organic chem class this summer. sucksss. anyways im majoring in microbiology, and going to med school for surgery to eventually become a surgeon. starting pay is avg. at 280/yr. average pay for non entry level surgeons is at about 850/yr now. i cant wait.

I graduated with a BS in Mechanical Engineering but the job market was so bad in '91 (Defense Industry folded), I got a job as a Civil Engineer. Best decision I made, I wished I would have majored in Civil in college.

Right now and in the foreseeable future civil engineers are in high demand all over the world. The old city/state/federal infrastructures always need repairs, maintenance and improvements. A lot of American companies are all over the world providing engineering services. The major is still tough but not as demanding as electrical/computer engineering or other engineering disciplines. Good "bang for the buck" and real good pay w/experience ($70-$90K/yr). Take a look.

kramer03gt said:
Hey well i graduated with an associate degree in computer network technolgy and now im a level 1 NOC engineer, and its not bad i make 17 an hour, which is allright for an entry level postion.

thats not bad, I am a tech and have been working for a cable company for 3 years. I make 22/h with a top out of 32. I think I am happy where I am, very little responsibility and good pay. I can handle it. No college needed. lol

hey blacknblue2002

I actually got an associates in auto/diesal technology from Universal Technical Institute and worked as a tech for Toyota for 4yrs till i decided its not what i wanted to do the rest of my life....Working on your car is fun but working on other peoples ragged out cars for a living got old fast...Im leaning on a degree in either finance or some sort of computer field. I guess ill decide one day.:shrug:

harrisonfiveo said:
Working on your car is fun but working on other peoples ragged out cars for a living got old fast...
+1 I've got an associates from Texas State Tech in automotive tech. (Ford). Right now I'm working for my dad as a shipping/logistics manager. Was going to go Airforce soon. But from what I hear, being a pilot in the Airforce is a looooooooooong shot. So I tested well enough on the Army ASVAB to go to WAFT (warrant officer flight training). I figure, If i like the military life-style, i can always transfer to the Airforce. :shrug:

harrisonfiveo said:
I actually got an associates in auto/diesal technology from Universal Technical Institute and worked as a tech for Toyota for 4yrs till i decided its not what i wanted to do the rest of my life....Working on your car is fun but working on other peoples ragged out cars for a living got old fast...Im leaning on a degree in either finance or some sort of computer field. I guess ill decide one day.:shrug:
im in the same boat you were ~ 4 years ago, right outta school and learning that working on other people's POS's is not fun. im contemplating going back for a degree in business or finance. :nonono:

Second year here. Started out as electrical engineering, then switched to mechanical engineering. All the math and physics are burning me out though, i think i'm going to switch to psychology. If you go all the way to the end and get a Ph.D in psychology, that's $150 an hour.

Business is the hot major right now I think. I have a friend in business, but he said you'll have to get an MBA to at least be competitive.