HEY college students/grads

PULMEOVR said:
I am a police student. Police Foundations graduate, and criminology student. The pay is decent (35,000 - 85,000/year), but it isn't something that you do to get rich.
A whole lot of upside in that industry if you keep your nose clean and put your time in. Also keep going to school and learn to speak spanish if you don't already.
My future father in law is an Inspector with NYPD and is a career cop. He easily makes 125,000 a year and is on a very short list of Candidates to become the next Chief. If he retired tomorrow his pension is close to 10K a month! Public servants have to start low but after 10-12 years you start to get senority and OT and it adds up. The most important thing is the education...that will set you apart from Joe Blow the Cop with no Degree.

• Sponsors (?)

THanks for all the responses guys...Its just kind of a crap shoot as far as finding a good field to go into these days. Seems like you go for something you like and it doesnt pay well but if you go into something that pays well you end up not liking it...:nonono:

harrisonfiveo said:
THanks for all the responses guys...Its just kind of a crap shoot as far as finding a good field to go into these days. Seems like you go for something you like and it doesnt pay well but if you go into something that pays well you end up not liking it...:nonono:

Yea that's what I figure. I'd rather have a job that i like going to...take different classes & figure out what you might like. maybe check out careerbuilder.com they have some good info on starting out salaries in fields & what's hiring & where the job market is for different fields.

I did Microbiology and got lucky and landed an awesome job. Pays pretty sweet & I love who I work with.

One more semester to go and I'll have a Bachelors in Media Studies - Advertising with a Minor in Cinema (Video Editing) from the University of Illinois (Fighting Illini). Then Im probably going to do a year of Portfolio School and then we'll see where I end up. I heard the field is competitive, but these are things I like to do so we'll see.

i'm going into my 4th year of Chemical Engineering at UMass Amherst. I landed a co-op with General Electric out in Cleveland for 6 months, making $17.50/hr + $400/month towards rent. I can't wait till I start making the big bucks :banana:

Grad. from PSU in dec of 05 with a bachloers of sience, degree in Recreation and parks managment, option is Professional Golf Managment...so to sum up the bordom, Im a golf pro who teaches golf, runs club houses, ect ect ect....I get paid to golf :o)

im about to be a senior at IU and going for a B.S. in statistics and a B.S. in psychology as well. ill probably stay an extra semester though...i cant imagine already heading out into the real world! college is too fun! buuuut ill either go for a masters in statistics hopefully or just get a stat entry level position which should range from mid 30k's to mid 40k's a year

I have a B.S. in Mech Engineering.

Job market sucks where i live so i work as an electrician now. Entry salary for my position is actually less than i make now, so i'm in a tough spot as to deciding what to do.

I hope to go to ACC later this year and get an associate degree in some form of engineering. Thinking about civil.

Where I work, just that degree can get me into a gravy sustainer/eng job, or even more easily attained, a maintenace operator and startout @ 18 an hour.

In the area I used to work the sustainer just sat around....you didnt even see the guy on saturdays. Just stayed in his office lol.

But I have it made too right now, but im only @ 11.25 hour :(.
Which I guess is good for being 20 (on saturday :D) with no college. :shrug:

I just ended my junior year and have a triple major Criminal Justice, Political Science and Studio Art.

My plan is to get a full ride to Grad school with my artwork and do something in graphic design/automotive design...but if the job market is weak Im going to try to become a NYS Trooper pay there is 60k first year or one of the Federal positions like ATF FBI or DEA they waive the 2 year experience if you come out of school with a G.P.A. of 3.6 or higher:nice:

Graduated from Kettering University (GMI) in mechanical engineering, worked as a co-op engineer my first two years and didnt care for it that much. I still got my degree in ME because with that degree you can do nearly anything, but I chose industrial sales, selling capital equipment.

Alot more fun, more freedom for schedule, MUCH better money.

I'm a first year ME student. I suck at the math and find pretty much all the related stuff I've done so far to be frustrating and unsatisfying. Looking long and hard at telecom, recording studio tech :D

On a completely random note, the last party I went to was after a particularly bad day in Drafting 100. Let's just say that I was useless and incoherent 45 minutes later. God I hate that class. I WILL NOT do something that shtty for a living.

Mechanical Engineering. I'm working a co-op job now making almost $13/hr and could be coming out of school making $40k+. It is hard hard work but I'm sure it'll be worth it later in life. I'm trying to get into more car related stuff and maybe work for a big company or aftermaket company after school.

Just a thought, but makes sure whatever you do is something you enjoy doing...or all the money in the world won't help when you hate going to work everyday.

I'm a school psychologist. I started at 48k 3 years ago and pull in about 57k a year now. I get 2 weeks off for Xmas, 7 weeks off in the summer, 1 week Spring Break and all the other holidays. I work 7 hour days by union contract and 211 days a year. Comes out to about 40/hr. Working in the ghetto isn't for everyone, but I enjoy it and the compensation is pretty darn nice.

Keep in mind, you want to make 500k/year as a surgeon, you will be working 70-80 hour weeks.

Just finished my junior year as an accounting major. I start my internship in NYC in two weeks. I'm working for KPMG which is one of the "Big 4" accounting firms. They pay VERY well and they offer 95% of the interns a full time position at the end of the summer. Should start somewhere in the neighborhood of 52k a year when i graduate. Do i want to be an accountant for the rest of my life, I don't know yet. But its a great starting place in the business world and accountants are in very high demand. I may go back for my MBA after i get a CPA or maybe i'll stick with accounting.

Everyone always says pick a major that you like so you like going to work everyday. Thats true, but you also have to pay the bills. I would pick something you can see yourself doing for 30 years, but also something that has a good job market.