High Torque Starters

Problownchild

Feb 1, 2014
Floriduh
Hello, i have a hopefully simple question, i installed a factory type starter on my 87 5.0 which previously had been on another car of mine, problem is that it seems that the starter "hangs" for a few seconds after i release the key. I have not heard of having to shim these type and it was not doing it on the other car. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not 100% sure what exactly you are asking. It's possible that the solenoid is just slow acting or gummed up with oil etc and slow acting. These starters rarely need to be shimmed. Where does the high torque starter come into play here? I run a pepboys stock 93 mini starter in my racecar for what it's worth.

Thanks for the reply.....sorry for the vagueness of the post....i have a factory high torque starter on my 87 5.0. Whenever i start the car, the starter seems to "run on" after i release the key. I had this on another car and did not have the issue and i am using the same wiring set up. thanks

Are you running the spacer between the trans and the block? I've seen this when the 1/8" or so metal spacer between the block and trans is omitted. The starter can engage too far and hang up. Just a thought

Make sure you have the correct wring for the starter you have installed...
The high torque mini starter is a smaller diameter starter. It was installed on 92 and later 5.0 Mustangs.

Starter solenoid wiring for 86-91 Mustang
attachment.php

Starter solenoid wiring 92-93 Mustang or earlier Mustang with upgraded high torque mini starter.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the reply....i assume that i have the correct wiring, i am using the same wiring as before......sorry for being dumb but how....if the starter is working and starting car can i be using the wrong wiring....just not sure why the wrong wiring would cause the starter to "run on" (if that is the right term).
Michael

Thanks for the reply....i assume that i have the correct wiring, i am using the same wiring as before......sorry for being dumb but how....if the starter is working and starting car can i be using the wrong wiring....just not sure why the wrong wiring would cause the starter to "run on" (if that is the right term).
Michael
Since I can't see what you have, and some guys may forget or overlook things, I shotgun the unknown. This is especially true when an odd phrase like "high torque starter" pops up associated with an odd model year for that option.

Again thanks for the reply.....looking back the first post should have read factory type high torque starter....as in the ones that came on the 94-95 5.0's. It has been on another of my vehicles without issues and i wired this one the same way....hopefully my last reply did not come off as snippy......thanks for your help.
Michael

I just bought a 93 cobra and mine hangs for a few seconds after it fires. Its cold as F&%# here right now so I haven't even tried to check it out yet. If I could figure out how to post a video I would

hanging, new engine mate: solenoid or gear bind 99% of the time
pull it and see whats going on...

edit: why are you replacing?/

Last edited: