hmmm wtf

gibson89LX

Founding Member
Jan 28, 2002
Brunswick, OH
Whenever I start the mustang after rain showers when it's like 60* outside it runs and idles fine but when I get up into the boost it misfires. My plugs and wires are less-than-a-month-old motorcrafts. I have also swapped out the TFI, cap, and the coil. I have also replaced the Coolant Temp sensor on the advice of a friend but...It still does it! I pulled codes and there were no codes as well. I was thinking possibly water is getting into my disty but I can't figure out how... [headscratch]
I first thought it was just temperature related but it seems to be moisture related because it happens on wet 65* days but not dry ones.

*EDIT* It also stops missing when it warms up to around 150*

• Sponsors (?)

well water can still get to it, water and moisture can get anywhere.. other than sucking in water, or gettin it in your dizzy, water/moisture could be gettin inside a sensor and messing stuff up... any codes? when it runs bad?

I don't know much about turbos, so this may sound stupid, but is there a possibility that your turbo seals are leaking and letting moisture in? You say that as soon as you get up into boost it misfires, therefore, it works up until your turbo kicks in, then, once your turbo kicks in perhaps it putting moisture through the engine. Sorry if I am way off and that could never happen, just thought it may get you on a proper track.

This may not help, but I never noticed this until after the same thing happened to me. The guy broke off one of the bolts for the Distributor Cap, and condension got inside the Distrbutor on wet rainy days. I since fixed that which fixed my problem. Just see if theres any bare wires or sensors where moisture can get in from.

well everything in my ignition is sinched down really well with dielectric grease on the connections. Mike, everythings in spec, I haven't checked the fuel pressure though, I may do that when it stops raining here. but the ACT works fine because I'm running non intercooled and it's pulling timing like it's supposed to. And my plugs are gapped at .32 and I swapped out the coil.

Lex said:
This may not help, but I never noticed this until after the same thing happened to me. The guy broke off one of the bolts for the Distributor Cap, and condension got inside the Distrbutor on wet rainy days. I since fixed that which fixed my problem. Just see if theres any bare wires or sensors where moisture can get in from.

I agree with Lex,, sounds like condensation in the distributor cap(if your car has a distributor, I've got DIS).