HOLY WHEEL HOP

04sonicblueGT

Nov 20, 2004
ok, so i finally get on my car, 1st time actually really getting on it, and wheel hop everywhere 1st and second gear. i doubt this is a driver issue, although it could be. I never had this issue with my old stang, Although old stang had minor suspension work right out of the box. Someone help me, I have plans to lower it soon. Is that going to mix my issue? is there something else i need to do out back while i am lowering it ?

• Sponsors (?)

check the links in my sig for a write up on suspension parts. i need to add the UCA to my sig too. :bang:

i dont have any wheel hop on my car. just the LCAs took care of it, but the rest of the parts are icing on the cake. if you want to lower it properly, these parts are a good idea.

my J&M arms are about $100 and had zero increase in noise. they have a 3pc. bushing with the center being hard for good launches, and the outer part is softer for cornering.

No noise here with BMR LCA's. As long as you go with poly bushing, any aftermarket ones would be fine. Personally, the GT500 ones don't look much stronger/different than the stock ones.

Wheel hop is caused by axle windup. What happens, IIRC, is as the car accelerates the rearend housing is torqued around causing it to rotate slightly, which permitted by the softer bushings in the stock arms. The rotation stores energy in the bushings by distorting them, and when enough energy builds up traction can be broken and the bushings relax explosively causing the wheels to hop. When the tires regain traction the process repeats.

Harder bushings distort less (spherical bearings and rod ends have virtually no deflection, which in turn causes NVH), so the process has trouble getting started.
Dan