Homemade PI Intake Adapter plates...your thoughts

kid rock

Jan 24, 2006
THE 51ST STATE!!
Hey guys,

im currently doing the PI intake swap on my 98 and im making up some adaptor plates this week to do the install (used RTV and it leaked so wanna do this proper this time)

Once i have made the plates and installed them on my car would it be worth me making up a load and selling them? or is everybody happy with using RTV sealent?

just an idea as my dad owns a stainless stell fabrication company and making them up will be easy!!

Let me know any feed back you guys have!

Si:SNSign:

P.S i will take some pictures as well so you can all see the quality and fitment of them!

• Sponsors (?)

did the swap as per the 100s of swap guides online, but not sure why it failed!

and they aint home made btw, they are being made by my dads company who have over 20 years experience in building kit cars! but thats neither here nor there! lol

Si

Mine's still holding up with RTV, so I'm not inclined to uninstall it just to throw on plates. Did you use NPI or PI gaskets? I used the NPI ones, but now that I see the small amount of RTV needed for the PI gaskets near the water ports, I would go that route if I had to do it again today.

I thought someone did this already, had a limited run of plates, but not sure where I read it.

if they are nice i could see you selling them...Mr Jones's weren't bad. They were matched on each side then hand sanded/blended in the middle. Not bad for what he was charging. What kind of price are you estimating?

you guys are going to hate me for this but my best friend made his adapters out of oak, and finished them up all nice... that was a few years ago and they have worked great for him... along with his plenum spacer ! lol

Mine's still holding up with RTV, so I'm not inclined to uninstall it just to throw on plates. Did you use NPI or PI gaskets? I used the NPI ones, but now that I see the small amount of RTV needed for the PI gaskets near the water ports, I would go that route if I had to do it again today.

I thought someone did this already, had a limited run of plates, but not sure where I read it.

You are probably thinking of the guy over at UnitedMajority.com, he had a pretty good PI intake install write up and had a link to his ebay auction for the plates he designed/produced.

BTW, dude your car is one of my top 10 on stangnet, that color is sweet!

right 2 sets have been made and one master copy.

on sat me and a couple of mates are pulling the intake off and then reinstalling it with the adaptor plates.

I will make sure the camera has got plenty of space and is fully charged so that I can take plenty of pics.

I will then come back to you guys and tell you how it went, show you all the pics and we can go from there, ive also got to pop down to my local UPS place and get a price on shipping theese plates to the US!

any more questions let me know and i willtry my best to answer them!

si

Yeah, pictures will be nice.

You could even manage the "write-up" for installing them if you get enough pictures and include the detail step-by-step.

I will do a write up with pictures once i am done, and for thoose with an xcal or diablo i have a little trick up my sleeve that costs less than 10 bucks but makes the install a 1000000 times easyer! pics and guide up once im done!

another question, what have all the adaptors so far been made of? stainless steel? or just normal steel? as mine are made from 5mm marine grade stainless steel.

Si:SNSign:

you guys are going to hate me for this but my best friend made his adapters out of oak, and finished them up all nice... that was a few years ago and they have worked great for him... along with his plenum spacer ! lol

I have seen professional engine builders user wood plenum spacers on high priced engines. I am talking about tunnel ram engines with split dominators. One reason is they are a good thermal barrier.

yes sorry! got the plates on and the fitment is all fine, but have fouled a plug i think waiting till half term so i can change the plugs and spark plug leads and then do a couple of days testing to make sure everything is fine! but aprt from fecking up a plug everything went A'OK! give me a week or so and will have something proper to come back to you all with, thanks for chasing me tho lol!

took pictures so we upload them at the same time

Si

(reason for delay will be making sure i have a good 100% working product before i even think about supplying them to the g.public!)