Hood Clearance Issue

ThatBear

Nov 29, 1999
My stock hood on my 89 gt hits the elbow on the throttle body that connects to the oil filler. Left me a nice pretty dent. Besides the dent on the hood is rubbing off the rubber hose causing a bad idle. The engine is out of a 98 explorer with gt40p heads, trick flow intake, prof products tb (i got it free) and egr plate. Will a cowl hood solve my problem? And is there anything i can do in the mean time? I plan on getting a cowl anyways

• Sponsors (?)

Cowl hood will help, but awful expensive to fix your problem.. I had the same problem with the same dent.. I took the tube out of the throttle body and made a shorter one to fix the problem.

I dont think the tube can be removed. I havent fiddled with it but it looked stuck on there pretty good. I can try it when i get home. I wanted to get a cowl anyways because they look good. Nothing to drastic just maybe 1-2 inches. Lift off probably :)

The hose barb is just pressed in.
With a bit of penetrating oil, and gentle working it side to side as you lift up, and it will come out.

Does your car have a spacer between the upper and lower intakes?
You shouldn't have this issue if you don't.
We didn't have this problem until we went from a 1/2" spacer to a 1" spacer on a Fox. (Exploder intake)

Another concern.... The TPS is the same height as the TB elbow, and without the elbow, the TPS might then rub. The TPS appears lower because the tube is turned forward, but if you spin it back, you see they are the same height.

EDIT: The info above is for stock TB and components. I notice most of your parts are aftermarket, so take it with a grain of salt.