Fox Hood flew up while driving.

93CalypsoConvert

Nov 26, 2020
Virginia
Driving the other day and my hood flew up. Screwed up the cowl area pretty bad... Hood is toast and my hinges are all beat up. I was quoted $1150 for full repair of just the metal... Don't really want to pay that much for such a small area of damage. Has anyone fix this themselves or have any ideas?

Cowl1.jpg
Cowl2.jpg
Cowl3.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Ouch, that sucks. You're def. not the first person to have that happen to them though. Do a search on this site, there are a couple posts that I can remember guys having the same thing happen and going through the repair process. I know some have had some luck with the football method.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Any idea why it opened while driving? I got lucky once and noticed the hood "moving" more than normal. I pulled over and discovered that the primary latch had not engaged and the only thing holding it was the secondary one. Now every time I close the hood I make sure to pull on it a few good times to make sure it is latched.

Reactions: 1 user
Any idea why it opened while driving? I got lucky once and noticed the hood "moving" more than normal. I pulled over and discovered that the primary latch had not engaged and the only thing holding it was the secondary one. Now every time I close the hood I make sure to pull on it a few good times to make sure it is latched.
Primary latch must've not been latched all the way. The hood doesn't have a secondary latch.

They aren't terrible to fix. You need to remove the hood hinges and the wiper motor and linkage. Whatever you do do not use a dent puller.

The hardest part to fix is the drivers side. There's a brace that runs below the top piece of metal. The trick is to gently message it back into shape. People use foot balls ( deflated and air up inside cowl ). A hydraulic dent repair kit from harbor freight will get under there too. You don't want to push up on it with anything with a sharp edge or it'll put point marks in it. You can use plywood to brace above a pry bar to leverage on. Multiple side share blocks of wood help. When flexing up tap around it with a flat end metal hammer or lightly whack with a small rubber mallet.

I've fixed a couple. ( I'm not a body man ). I try to straighten the metal around the holes first. It's got a small 90 in it and reinforces the panel. Then I work the dent from the furthest point away towards the center once the edge is straight the dent almost just pops right out.

Reactions: 4 users
That's got some gnarly creases, mine did not do that much damage so I was able to use a small hydraulic scissors thingy and a block of wood, got it good enough for my junk, that brace on the drivers side is a btch.
If it were me I would have to have it replaced but that involves pulling the wind screen, dash and dropping the the wiring and fenders, if you do most of the grunt work a good shop will charge less to do it right. That ride deserves to be done right.
I wonder if @Davedacarpainter is awake?

been there done that 5 years ago when I forgot to put my hood pins in. You can trip the football method and a small hand jack to bend it back up. I ended up cutting out and replacing the entire cowl section as it turned out there was rust all throughout the cowl and windshield.

25152040_1592548457435159_3162728055013839162_n.jpg
24991546_10208857427228037_2351583878760624918_n.jpg

feb 7 2018 7.jpg

1637024379125.jpeg

Attachments

• 1637023975722.jpeg
    1637023975722.jpeg
    464.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
That's got some gnarly creases, mine did not do that much damage so I was able to use a small hydraulic scissors thingy and a block of wood, got it good enough for my junk, that brace on the drivers side is a btch.
If it were me I would have to have it replaced but that involves pulling the wind screen, dash and dropping the the wiring and fenders, if you do most of the grunt work a good shop will charge less to do it right. That ride deserves to be done right.
I wonder if @Davedacarpainter is awake?
"Junk"? But you're the General.

• Haha
That sucks.

I guess having been around so long and having seen so many of these threads over the years, I just wouldn't run without the secondary safety catch. I'm paranoid enough with it installed :)

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
If you do remove the cowl I be live some company out there sells a fiberglass replacement, not what you had in mind but may s faster/easier?

Football worked pretty well. I got the driver side piece pretty flat. I got the center piece bent back good enough for the cowl vent and wipers to fit/work. Passenger side is going to need more work. I can get the dent to pop out, but it pops right back in. I will have to work with it more.

I'm busy for the next week or so. I'll update when I work on it again.

Last edited:
Football worked pretty well. I got the driver side piece pretty flat. I got the center piece bent back good enough for the cowl vent and wipers to fit/work. Passenger side is going to need more work. I can get the dent to pop out, but it pops right back in. I will have to work with it more.

I'm busy for the next week or so. I'll update when I work on it again.
If it's tin canning you might be out of luck.

It's what they call oil canning. The Thief is right. Tap it with the hammer face flat and it won't leave pock marks.

that happened to me a few years ago before i knew the football trick, i straightened it back as best i could and smeared a thin coat of bondo, mine happened a week after i had painted it, (i hadnt secured the hood after paint)... hagerty paid me a check, i luckily had a hood from my old girl, i fixed it, and put a few bux in the bank, all is well... :D