Hood Gas Shocks Group Purchase

• Sponsors (?)

XTONKAX said:
Measure twice, drill once. Easy.

And if you think it's still a little off measure it again. YES you do need a strong grip. At first I thought I was doing something wrong and then POP it was in. Go with the good rivot guns, not that expensive for a craftsman, then you can help your buddy put his in.
If there is anyone in Castro Valley that buys a pair you can borrow my rivot gun.

Okay guys, a guy in our club have them on his FIBERGLASS HOOD and they worked well, he just measured three times and drilled!

I will contact them to make sure but you will just have to measure them real close.

We are not at the 10+ price range, but at the 20+ PRICES. We are sitting at 21

people so if you have not email me stating that you are in Like Merc123 and decoy

please do so!

Travis aka LsRed

I have already asked if there is a 40+ price break since we have had so much interest in this!

ive got a concern. drilling holes in my car scares me. isnt there a chance the new holes could rust over time? will these be sturdy enough to hold up the hood for extended periods of time?

Not a problem, I will post the list but it will not be complete for people are just emailing me and stating that they are in and since I cannot tell who is coming from where.

But what i will do is put out the url so that everyone can buy if they want!

Or PM everyone that responds to the post!

Travis

Well you hood is not steel and is made of fiberglass, the holes are so small and no near the lip of the hood that the rivets will hold up fine. They use two rivets but the ones that i saw have three holes so you could possible get another rivet and place a third one!

These are basically like the trunk shocks, so i think that they will hold up great over time!

Travis

I installed them in about 30 minutes, so it's gotta be easy.

If you don't want to put fingerprints on your hood, all you have to do is grab the latch hole with your finger and pull it down until the struts give away, then let it drop.

I used to have a video of my wife opening mine, but had to take it off my server due to space issues. I'll try to find it if anyone wants to see it.

Most importantly about this kit is that all the parts are #1 top notch quality. Should last for a long time.

Answers to some questions/concerns:

I just went out and raised the prop rod with the hood held open by the struts. The top of the rod falls 2" short of the support hole, so that's the extra height you get.

To reduce the chance for rust, I applied some primer to the drilled body holes and let it dry. You are drilling through 2-3 layers of steel; no concern about lack of strength at the bottom mount.

Mine have been installed for nearly a year. No indication of any durability issues at the top riveted mount either. I see no need to add a 3rd rivet.

Just dropping the hood to close it may not work in Summer or warm climates, depending on how your hood latch has been adjusted. Gas pressure rises with temperature, so the struts don't "release" as high. My hood had to be dropped from nearly 24" to close, so I shimmed the latch bracket. Now I can secure the hood with light downward pressure. I carry a small clean cloth or handkerchief so as not to leave fingerprints in the wax.

Like all other hood/trunk struts, they will lose pressure over time, then won't hold the load in Winter. I usually get about 10 years out of the factory set on Japanese cars. In warm climates, they will last longer. The struts are a standard size, so can be easily replaced when they wear out.

There is an "after installation" pic on my web space: http://members.cox.net/n0v8or/web_index.htm