hood insulation??

olymaster

May 15, 2005
columbus ga
the insullation on the underside of my hood has seen better days. is this stuff needed or can i safely remove it and be ov without it?
i see pictures of cars with out and see pictures of cars with
whats the deal my car is my daily driver. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I heard it was suppose to be fire resistant, so if there was ever a fire the clips holding the insulation on would melt and the insulation would smother the fire. Don’t really see how it would do that, is there and truth to that?? I took mine out by the way.

Curse said:
I heard it was suppose to be fire resistant, so if there was ever a fire the clips holding the insulation on would melt and the insulation would smother the fire. Don’t really see how it would do that, is there and truth to that?? I took mine out by the way.

Zero truth.

If you're looking for fire suppression, I've seen bottles on various websites with cockpit pull cables where you can run nozzles into the engine bay. What I haven't seen, is a whole lot of call for them on daily drivers.

89MustangGX said:
Zero truth.
I figured that, just something I had heard.

Daggar, my friend with a 9 sec Nova has a system like that. If I had the money, I would get something like that since I am afraid of fire.

My dad never lets me live down the first time I swapped an intake on a 69 Impala. He had a spacer on the carb, well I put the gasket that goes on the intake to spacer but forgot to put the gasket that goes from the spacer to the carb. Gas leaked, fire started. My dad was calm and was about to smother the fire with his shirt, what do I do? I run out of nowhere with a shovel full of dirt and throw it on an open crab. :nonono:

Curse said:
I figured that, just something I had heard.

Daggar, my friend with a 9 sec Nova has a system like that. If I had the money, I would get something like that since I am afraid of fire.

My dad never lets me live down the first time I swapped an intake on a 69 Impala. He had a spacer on the carb, well I put the gasket that goes on the intake to spacer but forgot to put the gasket that goes from the spacer to the carb. Gas leaked, fire started. My dad was calm and was about to smother the fire with his shirt, what do I do? I run out of nowhere with a shovel full of dirt and throw it on an open crab. :nonono:

heh, dummy. anyways, what did you have to do to clean it all?