Hood pins are your friend...

Him having a decent sized cowl saved it. The hood hit the cowl panel first and that saved the roof and windshield, a smaller cowl or stock sized hood would have probably knocked the windshield as well as the roof and caused a LOT more headaches!

• Sponsors (?)

I've actually seen cars totaled out by insurance companies from the hood flying up. I've seen the whole roof line smashed down and the windshield and side windows blown out and the cowl/fenders smashed down. I've even thought about putting pins on my stock hood. Once your cowl is crushed you really have to do some surgery to fix it.

Like 4G-KDMP said, he closed but didn't latch it and forgot to check it before he raced.

I think the main reason it didn't do so much damage to the windshield was because its a 4" cowl. Most hoods would just flop up and over, but the 4" probably stopped it from going further.

Him having a decent sized cowl saved it. The hood hit the cowl panel first and that saved the roof and windshield, a smaller cowl or stock sized hood would have probably knocked the windshield as well as the roof and caused a LOT more headaches!

BINGO!!!!! You took the words out of my mouth!!

ALthough, having the cowl hood may be the reason it flew up anyways. You never know how well the hood latches, depending on brand, and latch adjustment.

Man, that sucks.

happened to me. forgot to latch the hood all the way. only real damage was a shattered cowl panel. and a dent on my roof. i was lucky my t-tops didnt break. oh and my hood was facked. now i latch it and use the pins...that wont happen to me again.

my budy on the other hand, he had those hood pins that lock with a key. they say to not use those alone to hold your hood down. for good reason, his flew up on him on the highway and it completely bent backwards and shattered his sunroof, sending glass all over him and his 2 passengers. they all had bloody faces when they got where they were goin.

000_1286.jpg

000_1288.jpg

000_1292.jpg

anyone know od someone who has had this happen to there stang that was a vert? im guessing that if it flew all the way back and onto the "roof" or top of the vert that the vert top would be upper focked? with the top down if the hood flew up (at 55 or so maybe ) that it could cave the windshield in on you?

He got lucky. My friend (I'll let him remain nameless, haha) had his hood come up at about 110. Busted his hood, made his cowl look about like that one, and caved his windshield in. The guy he was racing felt so bad that he gave him 40$ to help get it fixed and we all got the hell away from him ASAP because we didn't want to be around him when he was so pissed.